Plasti Dip Helmet - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

On my try, the blue painters tape came off fine and didn't put up tha coating. However I then used masking tape to cover the rest of the helmet from overspray and in a couple of places it tried to pull up the coating, but it didn't. The masking tape did however leave some of its sticky residue in it, so I would say if you stick to the blue tape it would be fine. Also for my two graphics, I cut out a vinyl stencil and that also can off fine

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
usmcculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

What can be used to clean it?
Will it fade in the sun?
active1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1951 View Post
What can be used to clean it?
Will it fade in the sun?
I've had it on my car on a couple of bumper vents and a rear spoiler lip for over two years and they still look great. I just wash them when I am washing the car with the same wash mitt and car wash soap that I use everywhere else.
Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

How to Clean Plasti Dip | Plasti Dip International

Quote:
A little soapy water is usually enough to do the trick. Windex and other similar cleaners work great, too. Or, to get it really good and clean, try some Goo Gone—it’ll have your Plasti Dip shining like a new penny! Plasti Dip is pretty resilient stuff, so almost anything you’d usually use to clean similar materials should work fine.

Tough though it is, there are a few cleaning agents you should steer clear of when cleaning your Plasti Dip. Many thinners and solvents can and will damage Plasti Dip (though some thinners, like naphtha, can be used to mix up your own spray-on Plasti Dip solution). Gasoline will also damage dried Plasti Dip. Also, I really have no idea why anyone would want to use gasoline as a cleaner.

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map
kayak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Anyone try and do the wheels? Or the chrome covers for the Air and AIS?

02 Warrior
07 YZ450F
hebegb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

People do this on their car wheels all the time. Just check out YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
usmcculp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

I like what you have done, but have no clue what you really did,,

Will google the 'plastic dip' thingie, however can you shed some light on this...
Be gentle, I live downunder and some technologies are a bit slow down here ( and some you can take example of :-) )

So a 'how to' or something like that would be good

Cheers

Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcculp View Post
Well after seeing all of the pictures and right-ups on Plasti Dip, I decided I would try it on my helmet. Not the best, and I think I will redo it at some point, but all in all it worked out pretty well. One note, if taping a design, don't use masking tape to tape off the dead areas. It left a sticky residue all over the helmet that brought down the look. Oh, well, 6 dollars and a little time to try it out.
NL_NZ_SA_AU
Flyingdutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

I imagine he sprayed it on, however you can dip smaller things like screwdriver handles, etc. But I can't understand why no one else is using the paint I did my bike in, "Alsa soft touch" Its a much better product. It comes in a clear topcoat so that you can spray over anything. I put my pinstripes under it and I think it is much more professional plus it's almost indestructible. (I have no ties to the company) Blue only, silver is gloss. I did mine with a gun but it does come in a can.

Last edited by rquest; 11-20-2012 at 07:20 AM.
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquest View Post
I can't understand why no one else is using the paint I did my bike in, "Alsa soft touch" Its a much better product.
I'm not familiar with the "Alsa Soft Touch" paint, but my reasoning for doing what I did is that I would like a professional custom paint job one day, but am just too **** broke for that right now.

For the time being I spent less than $50 and completely changed the look of my bike. If and when I decide to do actual paint (or decide I want the look of the stock tins back) I can peel this right off.
Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #20 (permalink)

rquest, how do you care for soft touch paint? Is it the same thing as some of the Victory bikes have on them now? I know those ones you can't wax and if they scratch you're kinda screwed.

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map
kayak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Warrior Pics and Vids