Oil Filter"s again - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunr View Post
If I had said something like that, I would be frantically knocking on wood

Maybe you could measure that offset next time you get one, and post it up here.

oh i'm definitely gonna take a closer look at this, last thing i want is to starve my beast of her precious fluid
southboundchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the info:} Wix it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk View Post
I worked for Purolator and was engaged in the design and manufacture of oil filters. Any oil filter has a few important parts and all the rest do not matter. The gasket used to seal the filter to the engine is critical. But everyone knows how to design this and there are no material differences between quality manufacturers. The bypass vlave is critical and again all first tier manufacturers know this and design excellent valves. bad valve could equal ruined engine so they have bullet proof design used across their product line, in the millions. Lastly, the paper element. This is a matter of microns and chemical compatibility. All filter companies use the same paper manufacturers, only a couple serve all of North America. The design of the paper itself is controlled by the filter companies. You will never, ever, get any real intelligence of the paper composition, trade secrets and you would need a sophisticated lab to reverse engineer the composition. And, the filter elements are designed to plug up and go useless their service life. Bottom line - stick with Purolator or Fram or Wix, the big three, and you will get the best filters made. Period, end of story. Change you filter every 3,000 or 4,000 miles with the oil. Happy engine. Oh, and many branded filters are also made by the big three on their lines in their facilities. Most Wix iproduction s private branded.
fcwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Here is some info from Z-Warrior
on an older thread oil filter Filter cross reference....

"I have ran the Fram Motorcycle filter PH6017A, Purolator ML16817 ,Bosch 3300, and the WalMart SuperTech ST6607 about $2...They all work. The one I have been using the most is the walmart supertech...Like $2.67...On my FZ1 forum there was a dude that cut them open and had them all tested at a lab and the Supertech was the #3 rated filter after the OEM($17), and the K&N($12) for the throw away filters....So I bought a bunch of the supertech and they seem to work great....I figured for the cost of one OEM I can snag 6 supertechs."

Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 about $6.00
NAPA Gold 1358, Carquest 85358, WIX 51358 about $7 to $8
AC Delco PF2135 about $10
FRAM PH6017A about $7
Mobil 1 M1-110 about $10
Bosch 3323 about $5
Purolator Pure One L14620 about $6
NAPA Gold 1356, Carquest 85356, WIX 51356 about $6
Deutsch D-370 about $4
AC Delco PF-2057 about $6
Motorcraft Long Life FL-821 about $4
STP S-02867 about $3
FRAM, Castrol, Penske 7317 about $3
Bosch 3300 about $5
NAPA Gold 1365 about $6
Purolator L14622 about $5
AC Delco PF1237 about $6
STP S-02876 about $3
FRAM PH6607 about $3
WalMart SuperTech ST6607 about $2

-Z

Last edited by 06_warrior; 03-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

How many of my Warrior Brothers have a filter cutter? Great tool to use as that removed filter holds the info of what is going on Inside that motor..You would also SEE the different design and material used. In the end you will have more info to go buy your filter of choice. Also Look at that new fliter out of the box.Gasket condition and security ,check, flange thereads,check,part number on fliter same as box and right application,check check.....I have found a $2 filter in a $9 box someone has swapped out to save money,WalMart.
warriordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default I found a whole new filter!

Okay, this might solve the dilemma for everyone. I now use the PureONE filter PL14459. I have a 1997 Royal Star, but I'm not sure if it will fit the Warrior. It is much fatter than the stock or any other formentioned filter here. I'm writing this at this forum because of the mention of the Roadstar 1600 motor earlier. My brother has this bike. To get to the point, it fits his motor. I've done some reading and think this filter is perfect...the relief valve pressure is 12 to 15! The only reason I tried it one day is because I already had it on hand. This fits my 1991 Honda Civic. Check out the Purolator website if you need to. I mean, to have a PureONE filter that is the right pressure AND bigger...at least check it out
txrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its 3.15" diameter, that's larger than any others, so dunno if it fits the Warrior maybe someone will give it a try. It has more filter media giving it a 99.9% rating but the bikes I see using it seem to have the filter located in a different spot or orientation than the Warrior. Even if it does spin onto the Warrior that yellow is fugly. I once used a PL14610 and I painted it black before install, waste of time imo. Now I have the L&M cowl and what-do-ya-know the yellow would still be visible thru the screen mesh. Its a good filter but its fugly on a bike when its in view.

Here's the Purolator data: Part Detail Popup

PL14459 Cut Open: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2042807

Fits Same as PL14610: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1991902
(but not necessarily fits the Warrior)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrider View Post
Okay, this might solve the dilemma for everyone. I now use the PureONE filter PL14459. I have a 1997 Royal Star, but I'm not sure if it will fit the Warrior. It is much fatter than the stock or any other formentioned filter here. I'm writing this at this forum because of the mention of the Roadstar 1600 motor earlier. My brother has this bike. To get to the point, it fits his motor. I've done some reading and think this filter is perfect...the relief valve pressure is 12 to 15! The only reason I tried it one day is because I already had it on hand. This fits my 1991 Honda Civic. Check out the Purolator website if you need to. I mean, to have a PureONE filter that is the right pressure AND bigger...at least check it out

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-10-2012 at 03:33 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions