2005 warrior - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2005 warrior

just bought 05 warrior, popping on decel. has v&h longshots. do i need a power commander and if so ,witch one? also noticed pipes under covers are pretty blue. bike has only 12000 miles dont want to blow it up! please help.
scott.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Search for ECU bump and bump the ECU up about 6 numbers and ride the bike for a good while then check your plugs on the left side to make sure they look like they are suppose to. There are posts on here that show the correct plug color. Sounds like you are to lean right now.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't worry about it. It's normal. There are lots of "fixes" but no need.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums!

If its popping every time, then imho there is a need. If the pipes are blue under the heat shields then its probably running way too rich (or was in the past). If yellow then probably running way too lean (or was in the past). Or maybe the pipes are second-hand and the other bike was mis-tuned, who knows.

If it were me, check if the AIS has been removed and plugged, and I would also pull the left side spark plugs in both cylinders (because they are easier to access) and compare them to a color spark plug chart. There's an NGK chart in the Documentation Forum or google 'ngk spark plug chart' for plenty of hits.

If you decide to use the ECU Bump as your first fix attempt, there's instructions in the Documentation Forum under Fuel Managers (or do a forum search for ECU Bump). Use your spark plug conditions to decide if you will bump toward rich or lean.

If the ECU Bump doesn't make the grade for you, then consider an aftermarket fuel manager like a Power Commander (PCiii-USB or PC-V) or possibly a Cobra Auto-Tuner (Fi2000 PowrPro CVT 92-1772AT). There's also data on these managers in the Documentation Forum under Fuel Managers. Plus, do a forum search for member comments on each.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the 4m. You have come to the right place to get help, advice, and encouragment (sometimes : )) great bunch here to help you enjoy this bike like none other. You will get seveal answers to the questions that you have. Hang in there.

Yep that's just the way it is!
Stay in the word!
Member 24379
twicechosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Welcome to the forums!

If its popping every time, then imho there is a need. If the pipes are blue under the heat shields then its probably running way too rich (or was in the past). If yellow then probably running way too lean (or was in the past). Or maybe the pipes are second-hand and the other bike was mis-tuned, who knows.

If it were me, check if the AIS has been removed and plugged, and I would also pull the left side spark plugs in both cylinders (because they are easier to access) and compare them to a color spark plug chart. There's an NGK chart in the Documentation Forum or google 'ngk spark plug chart' for plenty of hits.

If you decide to use the ECU Bump as your first fix attempt, there's instructions in the Documentation Forum under Fuel Managers (or do a forum search for ECU Bump). Use your spark plug conditions to decide if you will bump toward rich or lean.

If the ECU Bump doesn't make the grade for you, then consider an aftermarket fuel manager like a Power Commander (PCiii-USB or PC-V) or possibly a Cobra Auto-Tuner (Fi2000 PowrPro CVT 92-1772AT). There's also data on these managers in the Documentation Forum under Fuel Managers. Plus, do a forum search for member comments on each.
Maybe... and then again maybe not... It could be as simple as the rider leaving the throttle cracked on decel.

If running rich is what you expect, I would suggest putting the bike on a dyno and have a machine tell you if it is rich and where instead of guessing. If the bike needs a power commander then get one and let someone program it for you (or us one of the maps posted here at your own risk).

Depending on the riders competency and a confidence he may want to try all of the above but I would suggest knowing more about what is going on in the motor (if you are that concerned) and not guessing.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

James, yep maybe it is a throttle issue, we don't yet know if its popping every time, so good point. I always like how you can add more into the big picture!

I think it was great when I first got here there were plenty of guys ready to help me learn how to tune the warrior. It only required jumping-in and doing the work so I could get a feel for the Beast and that was worth every minute, I had a blast! So there wasn't any guessing, I quickly realized its easy to see what's going on in the motor by reading the plugs and adjusting, rinse and repeat a few times.

Since we are really waiting for the OP to add more info, I had a great time tuning this beast. Getting it dyno tuned is always a good idea except I think a little differently. If the dyno equipment can read air:fuel (exhaust or O2 sensors) it will be helpful but without a fuel manager it can't be adjusted at the same time for the same money. I realize that's why James suggested getting the power commander first, and it makes sense but it has a big combined cost where reading the spark plugs is a proven way to accomplish the same thing and it will do it for each separate jug so we can target the bump or map. But it has its limits. Since the ECU Bump only affects from warm idle to about 1300rpm its not enough to deal with all pop-on-decel in every case but it will reduce how often it pops on decel.

Spark-plug-reading will also do a great job of saying 'too rich' or 'too lean' for the way someone actually rides their bike. Of course its possible that reading the plugs this way might mask a problem in one rpm-range because the other rpm-ranges 'wash' the plugs cleaner, but in normal everyday riding if the spark plugs 'read' good then any A:F variances are unlikley to cause constant backfiring up the intakes or popping out the exhaust. What's more, DIY reading the plugs is essentially free, just need to get (IMO) some replacement spark plug 'crush washers' (aka spark plug gaskets) to avoid having to over-torque the already-crushed washers. And there is so much to be learned from doing it, its great!

All that said, its no secret I'm also a big fan of getting a dyno, but only after the bike is set-up and close to right. I'm guessing from Jame's post that he and I agree on something else: I'm not a fan of getting a dyno when there's no range-adjustable fuel manager installed (like a power commander) to make instant corrections to issues indicated by the dyno process.

But in this case, for me anyway, its not yet time for the expense of a fuel manager and a dynotune. For the best in DIY pleasure, I'd still make sure the AIS is plugged, read the plugs, bump the ECU, repeat, and thereby dial it in close as able on my own and only after doing that would I worry about any remaining popping. Its more fun and costs almost nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
Maybe... and then again maybe not... It could be as simple as the rider leaving the throttle cracked on decel.

If running rich is what you expect, I would suggest putting the bike on a dyno and have a machine tell you if it is rich and where instead of guessing. If the bike needs a power commander then get one and let someone program it for you (or us one of the maps posted here at your own risk).

Depending on the riders competency and a confidence he may want to try all of the above but I would suggest knowing more about what is going on in the motor (if you are that concerned) and not guessing.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks everyone, it definatly does it alot more if throttle is cracked on decel. i am an experianced rider and this popping does seem to do much better when the throttle is closed all the way.i also notice its popping more if its under 45degrees. this is only my second injected bike an my old one was a 03 z1000. i just wanted to be sure because the dealer is trying to blow me off and i thought they were wrong and now i know they,re full of crap. they,re a victory dealer so i didnt expect much anyway. still happy to have the bike. thing screws!! cant wait do a couple little mods to make it my own.thanks again
scott.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions