Technical question - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Technical question

I am about to install a power commander , hypercharger & cobra exhaust i would like to know how many horsepowers will it add to my warrior , any idea ?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
IslamDiab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, the Hypercharger is basically for looks. It won't add more than a horsepower or two. Aftermarket exhaust will add a horsepower or two, and I'm sure you can get a horsepower or two from the PowerCommander.

What you really need to do is get rid of the stock airbox under the tank, and run a VBAK or at least a BAK (pod filters) on the throttle bodies. That will add about 8 HP or so. After you do the pipes and PowerCommander, you're looking at 8-12 HP or so. But just adding a fancy airfilter on the side won't change much. Pipes will help the bike breath, but not a huge increase. PowerCommander will help if the bike is running lean (which they usually do from the factory).
LeaderDuece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

So after all the money i spent it will just add 4-5 Hp max. some ppl told me it will give between 25-30% horse power increase .

Anybody can confirm this ?!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslamDiab View Post
So after all the money i spent it will just add 4-5 Hp max. some ppl told me it will give between 25-30% horse power increase .

Anybody can confirm this ?!

No way, 3-5 without what LD said above. Air box swap, and "proper performance exhaust" can get you the most HP bump without going internal. I've seen almost 20 HP which is a significant boost. I'm sure the bike was not tuned at its peak before dynoed. You will feel it on the butt dyno. Formula for low cost HP increase is VBAK+Speed Star 2 into 1, or V&H pro Pipe, + the right program and tweek for the PC.

Last edited by zipper; 12-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

So in totall how many horse powers will be added after installing power commander , hypercharger , cobra speedster exhaust & k&n filters

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Less than 10.

No way are you going to get 20-25 hp just by swapping filters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

What type of Cobra exhaust. Is it a 2-2 or a 2-1? The 2-1 will give you the MOST POWER of the two. A Hypercharger is more for looks, doesnt really do anything. Contact Churchkey (a member). He makes the best bolt on hp improving Big Air Kit (BAK) period. If you havent bought your power commander yet, get the PCV. It has greater tuning capabilities and its a much smaller unit. Its also totally plug and play.

Here's the honest real increase in HP - Churchkey V-bak, 2-1 pipes, power commander about 8-10 more ponies

If your running dual pipes more like an 5-8 increase.

If your keeping the stock airbox with k&n drop in filters, dont get your hopes up.

4UTNV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is an interesting topic. I started with a bone stock Warrior. I added a PC3, a Hard Krome straight through slipon with stock headers and Church's VBAK. These additions and mods were done all at one time. The resulting performance was what I expected and more. A conservative estimate and as expressed by LeaderDuece, a good 10 horsepower gain. The increased performance was great for aggressive driving. I did, however, notice a reduction in torque at the lower rpm range ie at 1,500-3,000 and an increase in torque from 3,000. I subsequently went back to the stock setup for the following reasons: exhaust noise and valve body noise. The HK slipon were just too noisy for my taste. Riding for a 2-3 hour period was so fatiguing from exhaust noise. What really blew me out of the water was the rather loud noise through the throttle bodies. My research on this noise led me to reversion shock waves produced primarily from closing and opening of the exhaust valves. This noise tend to be the loudest when the distance from the exhaust valves and the throttle blades is relatively short. One member on this site referred this noise to an helicopter hovering over head! In all sincerity it is loud.
So a question for you LD. If I use Speedstar 2-1-2 exhaust, stock under tank air box (a big thank you to Jbat for a free air box) with K&N drop in filters with your DIY right side filter along with a PC3, how much of the 10 HP that I previously had, would I loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Rapomcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sadly most of it. I'd think you'd be back down to a 4-6 hp increase over stock. And that's probably a little optimistic.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jarv

I agree - 5 or 6 HP would be very reasonable for those mods.
There should be a small increase in torque too.
I consider the hypercharger to be more of a cosmetic item than a performance item.
As has already been said, a VBAK from Churchkey (see the site vendors list) will make a difference.

To make a 25-30% increase will involve engine work and a large financial investment.

Good luck with your mods - keep us informed - WITH photos!

jarv's gallery

. Like a coiled spring ... about to corrode

" The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for "
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions