Tips for Buying - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
sirrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 99
Default

I owned a 650 vstar custom, great bike but always searching for that next gear.
I picked up a 08 Warrior and it was love at first shift.
Took a 650 vstar out a year later and could not believe I drove that before; it was awkward, bulkly, no power, just not fun to drive.
The Warrior does have a issue, the urge to modify never stops.
__________________
Image is Everything,
Safety is Nothing,
Drink BEER.
sirrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 42
Default RE:

7K for new huh? Hmm, might be an interesting idea. I think might have to finance if that were the case though, which might hurt my negotiating a little. Do the new ones come with a warranty? Can you take them anywhere for 'work' or do you have to go back to the dealer your buy from?

As for the 650... mines a custom too. I really enjoyed the bike. I'll admit there was numerous times I tried to shift into 5th, only to find out I was already there! It's been a great bike though... made it back and forth across Oregon a few times and done quite a few rally rides in the area.

I think a bigger bike will do better though on the freeway and will get me that much closer to seeing Sturgis someday!
pdxwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
thundermutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: outer space
Posts: 56
Default

The ONLY thing about mine I never liked.....was the factory seat. Always ...felt like I was gonna slide off the back. I am a little guy,,,5'8"...178lbs.....bought a Stilletto seat....MAJOR improvement !!! It was "cupped" better....under hard...or moderate acceleration...I no longer slide back...and I could only sit on the factory seat for about two hours....and I had to get off it ! With the stilletto....I can ride all day....no problem. Thinkin about putting a gell pad in it too!!! second BIG thing for us little guys ....lowering the rear suspension. I could never sit flat foot at a light , until I lowered her !!!!
thundermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,818
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwarrior View Post
7K for new huh? Hmm, might be an interesting idea. I think might have to finance if that were the case though, which might hurt my negotiating a little. Do the new ones come with a warranty? Can you take them anywhere for 'work' or do you have to go back to the dealer your buy from?

As for the 650... mines a custom too. I really enjoyed the bike. I'll admit there was numerous times I tried to shift into 5th, only to find out I was already there! It's been a great bike though... made it back and forth across Oregon a few times and done quite a few rally rides in the area.

I think a bigger bike will do better though on the freeway and will get me that much closer to seeing Sturgis someday!
I kind of doubt you'd get it for 7, but you never know.

Yes, they still come with the warranty.

One thing I see come up a lot on the YamahaMotorcycleForum.com site is that the 650 buzzes, and you're always looking for the next gear. The Warrior definitely doesn't buzz, although it obviously vibrates a lot with the hard mounted engine, and I'll admit the first year or so I rode it I would look for that next gear. But I don't anymore. If I remember right, at 80 mph it's at about 2800 rpm. Something like that. Anyway, it actually gets into the crazy powerful zone above 3000 rpm. So I had been used to basically cruising around at idle the whole time.

One other thing -we've seen a lot of guys hesitate, get their feelings hurt whatever because they offer 8000, and the dealer won't come off of 8500. I know money is tight, but for 500 bucks I wouldn't walk away from this bike. Just sayin...
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 23
Default

I have both.... see attached pic.

The vstar is by far the more comfortable cruiser of the two, but as others mentioned, it is underpowered, especially two up. I can go 300 miles in a day on the factory seat with the vstar, and about a tenth of that on the warrior factory seat. I do have a mustang for the warrior though which gives me the capability of going probably 200 miles without injury

All of that said, the warrior is a far better bike everywhere but cruising comfort. More torques, better handling, cool factor is WAAAAY better, and as a few guys already mentioned.... a mod machine. I ride the warrior whenever I can, whereas the vstar gets ridden when the wife wants to come along.

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (226.5 KB, 52 views)
justinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 42
Default

Stilletto seat? I may have to check that out, do you know what brand it is? While I was able to deal with the
stock seat on the Vstar, I did replace it with a Mustang seat. Was a lot better for longer rides.

There's a few in the area new right around 8K, I might be able to talk them down a little. Maybe not 7K, but it
could be worth a try. The warranty would certainly be helpful and offer some reassurances. Of course, I imagine
some changes (read: mod) probably void the warranty!

With the Vstar there's no tach, but I imagine when I'm running 80 down the freeway I've got to be pushing close to
5 grand for RPMs. Sitting at a comfy 2,800 or so would be a really nice change!
pdxwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
p-wii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 348
Default

Ummm... do i notice an italian car in the bottom of the pic?
Sorry for the off topic question but thats not seen everyday


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
p-wii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,818
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Yeah... 5 grand is the redline for the Warrior

Sent from my DROID RAZR
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-wii View Post
Ummm... do i notice an italian car in the bottom of the pic?
Sorry for the off topic question but thats not seen everyday


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
lol, yes.... I was bored a couple years ago and twin turbo'd it as well. If you look really close through the hatch, you can see the air/water intercoolers... It's much more fun now

Justin
justinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwarrior View Post
Stilletto seat? I may have to check that out, do you know what brand it is? While I was able to deal with the
stock seat on the Vstar, I did replace it with a Mustang seat. Was a lot better for longer rides.

There's a few in the area new right around 8K, I might be able to talk them down a little. Maybe not 7K, but it
could be worth a try. The warranty would certainly be helpful and offer some reassurances. Of course, I imagine
some changes (read: mod) probably void the warranty!

With the Vstar there's no tach, but I imagine when I'm running 80 down the freeway I've got to be pushing close to
5 grand for RPMs. Sitting at a comfy 2,800 or so would be a really nice change!
The vstar gets buzzy above 65 or so.... the warrior gets buzzy above 80, so I am pretty sure you will rarely(if ever) notice it with the warrior if you were riding the vstar at 80mph

Fwiw, my right arm falls asleep on the vstar on the extended rides. It doesn't happen on the warrior, although my butt seems to fall asleep.

Justin
justinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
RSWarrior.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on RSWarrior.com is generated by its users and RSWarrior.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.