Tips for Buying - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips for Buying

Hey Guys,

I'm really looking to upgrade from a V-star 650 to a Warrior. I have a few questions though. Are there any "known" or "common" problems that crop of with the Warrior? Anything to really check out/for before making a purchase?

What oil weight to you typically run when using synthetics?

I like to do some distance riding (not iron butt) but maybe 400-600 miles from time to time. I know this will require a different seat than the stock one and of course some saddlebags/luggage. Do many of you ride distances? Have you noticed any major comfort issues with the warrior for such distances? The 650 did fine.. little weak on some of the hills and when passing but otherwise it worked fine after adding forward control extensions and a mustang seat.

Thanks in advance!

-pdxwarrior
pdxwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

The warrior, as far as I've seen on the forum is fairly bullet proof. There are some things on different models, but nothin major, and nothing that hasn't been discussed, gone over, and resolved by forum members. They make good touring seats, different handlebar, control extension configurations to suit your needs. I can only get about 250 miles before I need a back adjustment, but that's how my bike is set up, for couple hundred mile trips. There are several guys that have done a few thousand mile trips with 5-600 plus miles per day. I think you will really want to do some research on a windshield for any long trips..im sure others will chime in. There were some recalls on all the models, but easy enough to check at a dealer to see they were completed. Welcome to the forum and when you find your warrior, get ready fpr mod fever..LOL. this forum has more technical information on this bike than yamaha does, so just go buy one!!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

What he said. ^^^

The DarkMidKnightWarrior

Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread

Annual Toast #3
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoligan2 View Post
What he said. ^^^

The DarkMidKnightWarrior

welcome....ditto...what he said about him on top

oil - it would be good to ask what oil is in the beast when you buy it and either change it pronto or run it to next change...personally i run what yami advise ...yami lube tried and tested - full synthetic in my knowledge base only goes into bikes to any advantage over 20k miles

there is a specific video for checking the oil and it's real important - to easy to over fill the beast ...not good - and the dipstick feature is quality stuff

the warrior climbed in the swiss alps to 2300 metres without a hick up and tries to beat you to the top! - all controlled by the ecu...no choke fitted on this baby
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Followup

Thanks for the replies so far. I've been looking in my area. I'm curious - there's a few dealers that have some new old stock available. They are 2009 models (silver) and range anywhere from 8000-10500. I've also seen a couple of used models in private sales. The different between new and used that I've seen has been anywhere from 3000-1500. Used miles range from 6000 to 11000.

How much better off would I be by investing the extra cash to buy "new"? Of course I'd have to go through the break-in period.

What kind of miles do you have have on yours?
pdxwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

If you are going to keep the bike forever, buy new IMO.

If you will most likely change or upgrade in the next few years, or just want a project bike, buy used with some of the mods you might like and use the extra cash to mod more. There is little that can be done to destroy these beasts.

What to look for...
They do not leak, they do not smoke, they do not sputter, they usually start within 5-6 revs of the engine, they do not wobble in turns. If the bike you check out does any of these things, keep looking.

The engine is loud. I don't mean the exhaust, the engine itself will make alot of "noise" as it runs, this is normal. On Decel you will notice 2 things, the bike will sound like a MAC truck with a Jake brake and you will backfire. We tend to call it the warrior snarl or dragon breath and again, this is normal. If you open the throttle too wide too soon before getting used to it you may slide off the seat a bit, you may loose traction and after extended use, your arms may lengthen an inch or 2. Yes, this too is normal.
robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

There are no major differences in year models. The seat changed a little, the front pegs changed a little, forks changed a little, front rotors/brakes changed a little, but really no major differences. There is not really one model/year more desireable than another.

There is a list of recalls on the forum. If the bike needs recalls, then Yamaha still honors them. These recalls aren't major/catastrophic, but it's nice to get them done.

As noted, you can set the bike up several ways -either as a long distance bike or a shorter hop bike. Most wouldn't take a passenger long distance without major mods though. Most don't go for the bagger look, it's kind of counter to the bike's stance, but I like my setup, and there are a few who have done it as well.

The bike is probably the easiest bike to mod I've ever had. You can do just about anything to this bike. It takes a certain mindset to own this bike though. I enjoy reading the YamahaMotorCycle.com forum, but it's interesting seeing what is important to them (Lowers, head buffeting, heated gloves) versus what is important to us (HID, VBAK, Exhaust, etc). If you want a bike with floorboards and a stereo system, this probably isn't the one for you.

New or used doesn't matter. We have several members with over 100,000 miles on their bike. You can get a "new" one as you note for about 8500, although that's drying up, or a used one for much less. Depends on what is important to you. You might find a sweet deal on a used one with a fatty rear end or something, if so buy it in confidence. If you want to start from scratch and do all the work yourself, then go with a new one.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm pretty new to the warrior, but this bike kicks ass! And any problems you might have the members on this forum will come together to help You out best they can! Better than any tech support!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwarrior View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I've been looking in my area. I'm curious - there's a few dealers that have some new old stock available. They are 2009 models (silver) and range anywhere from 8000-10500. I've also seen a couple of used models in private sales. The different between new and used that I've seen has been anywhere from 3000-1500. Used miles range from 6000 to 11000.

How much better off would I be by investing the extra cash to buy "new"? Of course I'd have to go through the break-in period.

What kind of miles do you have have on yours?
Welcome!
Offer $7,000 for a new 2009. They'll take it. Stick to your guns. Better to buy a new one, all the recalls have been worked out. You will know the history of it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Some just fit stock. I haven't done any mods other than adjusting the slope of the handlebars a little. Did 900 miles in 10 hours coming from east of Billings MT to Seattle WA. A little weary from things flying by but no butt issues...
sgrudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions