RS Warrior Forum banner

Oil capacity

6K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  shadow670 
#1 ·
Went to change oil and could only get 2.5 quarts to come out.
I have read on other post that the warrior holds 5 quarts. What am I missing? I have pulled the filter, the 17 mm engine bolt and the 10 mm oil pan bolt yet oil is still full under the seat where the stick goes in. I also made sure the bike was warmed up.

#4 ·
And the reason most of them will tell you this is cuz most have done the same thing! 17mm wrench on the right side near the shock, it's at about a 45 degree angle. 17mm wrench at the front left corner. Put the 10mm back in, it's not part of this. Really helps to read the manual before you change the oil. It will tell you to put in about 2.5 qts then put the filler cap back on and start the engine, run it for a bit then shut back down. This takes that 2.5 and pushes it into the engine making room for the rest of the new oil. If you don't do this but just keep on pouring you'll have one very big oily mess to clean up.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

#5 ·
The other 17mm bolt is on the right side next to the rear shock. The owners manual is in error. Pull both 17mm bolts and filter and you should be OK. Remember, when you refill, put in about 2.5 quarts and then start engine for about 15 seconds. You can then put remaining oil in. Good Luck

#8 ·
From now on take everything any service guy tells you and remember they're probably half right to.
quote:Originally posted by gstarrett3

The funny part about this is I talked to the local yamaha sevice guy and he said 2.5 quarts was about right and that there was only one bolt to drain. Makes you wonder. Anyway oil change is done and came up with 5 Quarts.

Thanks everyone.

#11 ·
I just finished a 2.5 quart oil and filter change myself. After hearing that an oil change would take two weeks I asked where the drain plug was also. He showed me the 10mm bolt. What an oily mess especially when you use a funnel. If you are using a drive on lift take one of those Harbor Freight tools box end wrenches and cut off to about 4 inches. If you try to put a full length wrench at 8 o'clock position it will slip off the bolt.

#12 ·
quote:Originally posted by dawrayme

I just finished a 2.5 quart oil and filter change myself. ...I asked where the drain plug was also. He showed me the 10mm bolt.

I hope, after reading this thread, you realize you did not change all the oil as you should have. Also, stay away from that mechanic. he obviously knows very little about your bike!!

#15 ·
Changed the oil last night, book says 4.3 QT.
I added 2 QT to the engine through the plug in the crank case and the rest through the filler tube. The oil level barely reads on the stick.
I did as Bill H. says he does it (stand the bike up straight to drain as much oil as possible after it has drained awhile).
So did I drain more than 4.3QT and just need to add more?
Does the oil expand as it gets hot.

#18 ·
quote:Originally posted by mightythor

Changed the oil last night, book says 4.3 QT.
I added 2 QT to the engine through the plug in the crank case and the rest through the filler tube. The oil level barely reads on the stick.
I did as Bill H. says he does it (stand the bike up straight to drain as much oil as possible after it has drained awhile).
So did I drain more than 4.3QT and just need to add more?
Does the oil expand as it gets hot.

You will need more than 4.3 if drain all inside of it and the viscosity influence too.

#21 ·
quote:Originally posted by arwarrior

set it upright/level to properly check the oil level.

I think the level should be checked with the bike on the side stand. The manual doesn't say anything about setting the bike upright prior to checking.

#24 ·
the owners manual (as useless as it is) say's to do it with the bike held level. It would be nice to do it on the side stand. I was a little disapointed to find out I had to remove the seat and then hold the bike level. It's the most difficult bike I've ever owned to check the oil on. Of course I still like it the best, but c'mon Yamaha, I think you could have done better. My 74 Sportster had a better setup.

#25 ·
oil, how much friggin oil does it take to make you happy? put that much in. this here motor is a 2.5 qt wet sump w/another 2.? qt oil reservoir. it takes about a quart to lube your engine and the rest is just in circulation. who cares how much oil it holds. the bike doesnt run any different, better or worse with a whole qt low. at best all this extra oil is just a big heat sink. all this extra oil would make sense if it had a huge oil cooler to dissapate some of that heat. there you have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.