Oil capacity - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2003, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil capacity

Went to change oil and could only get 2.5 quarts to come out.
I have read on other post that the warrior holds 5 quarts. What am I missing? I have pulled the filter, the 17 mm engine bolt and the 10 mm oil pan bolt yet oil is still full under the seat where the stick goes in. I also made sure the bike was warmed up.
gstarrett3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Oil capacity

The 10mm is the wrong one, it's the other 17mm. Look out, about a million people are getting ready to tell you to search for the answer first, then post the question if you can't find the answer. Also, seehttp://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=785
arwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did a search and did not see anything guess i didnt look hard enough, but thanks.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

And the reason most of them will tell you this is cuz most have done the same thing! 17mm wrench on the right side near the shock, it's at about a 45 degree angle. 17mm wrench at the front left corner. Put the 10mm back in, it's not part of this. Really helps to read the manual before you change the oil. It will tell you to put in about 2.5 qts then put the filler cap back on and start the engine, run it for a bit then shut back down. This takes that 2.5 and pushes it into the engine making room for the rest of the new oil. If you don't do this but just keep on pouring you'll have one very big oily mess to clean up.[[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]]

My life is based on a true story.

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

The other 17mm bolt is on the right side next to the rear shock. The owners manual is in error. Pull both 17mm bolts and filter and you should be OK. Remember, when you refill, put in about 2.5 quarts and then start engine for about 15 seconds. You can then put remaining oil in. Good Luck
DNACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

The funny part about this is I talked to the local yamaha sevice guy and he said 2.5 quarts was about right and that there was only one bolt to drain. Makes you wonder. Anyway oil change is done and came up with 5 Quarts.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad it worked out for you. Did the pictures help out?
arwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

From now on take everything any service guy tells you and remember they're probably half right to.
quote:Originally posted by gstarrett3

The funny part about this is I talked to the local yamaha sevice guy and he said 2.5 quarts was about right and that there was only one bolt to drain. Makes you wonder. Anyway oil change is done and came up with 5 Quarts.

Thanks everyone.
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

You guys convinced me: I am not gonna pay big bucks for my service anymore. DO-IT-YOURSELF seems the way to go. Thanks for all the good information!
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

The pics helped alot. That bolt in the back is hard to find. I had to look at the pic three times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions