SAE 20W 40 MOTOR OIL - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default SAE 20W 40 MOTOR OIL

Anyone know where to get this grade of oil ("OTHER THAN THE YAMALUBE-4") they sell at Yamaha dealerships? SAE 20W 40 is the spec. Local dealership around here charges $6.95 each quart. Outrageous! I've been to all the other make shops as well as numerous parts stores, and Walmart,K-mart, Meijer etc....
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: SAE 20W 40 MOTOR OIL

I gave up too easy and paid for YAMALUBE-4 also. What can I say it was the first change after the breakin miles...okay it was at 500mi and not 600mi. Cept I paid a whole buck less per qt. up here in the Northeast. Moble makes the synthetic so I wonder if they have other V-twin blends too????
Old 01-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just use Castrol GTX 10W-40 or 20W-50 avaliable at WalMart or Autozone, change it every 1500 miles or so & you'll be just fine. That's what I do 15K and no sign of problems.
WallyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are looking for a good deal on a great oil available almost everywhere, look for Shell Rotella T 15w-40, available in gallon jugs at Wal*Mart. The regular Rotella 15w-40, NOT the synthetic 5W-40. Rotella T 15W-40 does not cost much more than regular auto oil like Castrol GTX, but it has none of the bad energy-conserving stuff in it to make your clutch slip (like some car oils do) and it is a **** of a lot better for your Warrior than automobile oil will ever be.

Change it every 3 - 4k miles with a new filter each time, and you are good to go. This will be very close in viscosity to Yamalube, a better oil and a MUCH better price. In my book, at Wally-World prices this is the best value for your dollar!

Of course, if you would feel better dropping more cash into your crankcase, by all means you could go to a motorcycle specific dino oil like Valvoline 4-Stroke 10W-40 or 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil. This is a JASO-MA rated oil, and costs around $3/quart at Autozone. If you must have a motorcycle specific oil that is labelled JASO-MA, this is your best value. Of course, if you REALLY want to put some cash into your oil, by all means go the route of the full synthetics like Mobil 1 or AmsOil. Personally, I don't think you will ever see the rewards of that $7 or $8 per quart investment you'll be putting into your Warrior's sump, but hey, that is just my opinion, go knock yerself out.
stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm a "Castrol at Autozone" kinda guy. I've been running 10w-40, but next time (for this summer) 20w-50. When it get's to 100+ around here - I think the heavy stuff would be the way to go. I suspect Kentucky get's warm enough to justify it as well.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

With all the various brands of oil available at discount stors theres really no need to pay more then 2.00 or 3.00 for a quart of oil. All the name brands are as good or better than yamalube. Don't be afraid to use any name brand oil. They will meet the lubrication requirements of the warrior with no problem.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just make sure the oil you use isn't labeled "Energy Conserving II" or higher. If it is, it would say this in a little circle on the back of the container. The Yammy manual says it could cause your clutch to slip and mess things up.
ewells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

What? another oil thread? I use valvoline mc oil from schucks, get my oil filter there too. Use 10/40 weight in the winter and 20/50 weight in the summer, change it out every 3k miles.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

For what it's worth:
Rotella 15-40 but I think the exact name is RotellaT 15-40. In my opinion the very best and most overlooked oil on the market today. Do not buy the synthetic version.
fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

hmmmmm I use the 20w50 from Mobil 1. Cost me a grip but seems to be a very good grade oil to use.

http://www.lubedealer.com/biker/repo...cycle_oil.html
novice_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions