low fuel light flashing - Page 5 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalPancho View Post
Interesting (and slightly entertaining thread)
I actually have the exact same 8 blinking sequence problem on my fuel light.

I suspect too that it's just a flaw with these fuel pumps.
Not sure how I can fix it for $65 or $70 us dollars tho?
do a search for "armystar". i think it was him who put in a new fuel pump for pretty cheap. but if it flashes 8 times exactly, doesn't that sound like a code?
right here
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...6gEevWYuVGX0wQ

Last edited by iowawarrior; 11-03-2012 at 07:02 AM.
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #42 (permalink)

Skinny said it was a sending unit, not the pump. I don't know if he is right, but those aren't the same...

Sent from my DROID RAZR
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #43 (permalink)

Yeah, the pump is working fine and bike is running as it should (like a beast)! Just the flashing light thing... I'm getting used to it and just reset the trip comp to zero at each full tank and get more after 100k's just so I dont run out.
Shame they dont have a real needle gauge.
Anyway Im used to bikes with NO gauge or light But from my limited and rather new to Warrior learning curve, I think the sender etc is inside the actual pump anyway.
ps: thanks to everyone on here for helping me cram in the knowledge.
Great forum!
BrutalPancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is covered in the Owner's Manuals starting I think with the 2005 Owner's Manual. The Service Manual did not receive this information. The fuel light blinking 8 times and repeating indicates a circuit issue with the fuel level sending unit not an issue with the fuel pump.

One reported 'fix' was to re-connect the sending unit wire inside the aux tank that comes off the sending unit (not a common thing to come loose). Most other times its been a corroded coupling-plug on the aux tank, or physical damage to the green wire in the aux tank coupling-plug. That green wire goes to the fuel light in the gauge.

From Page 3-2 of the 2007 OWNER'S manual:

This model is also equipped with a self diagnosis device for the fuel level detection
circuit. If the fuel level detection circuit is defective, the following cycle will be repeated
until the malfunction is corrected: The fuel level warning light will flash eight times, and
then go off for 3.0 seconds. If this occurs, have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle.

Here's a pic that was done for another purpose but will maybe be of help here. I've wondered
if its possible if the aux tank is left empty enough to expose the wire connections to air over a
winter in storage maybe the sending unit connections can corrode inside the aux tank. The top
connector to the bike isn't shown but there could be corrosion in that plug.

Quote:
Interesting (and slightly entertaining thread)
I actually have the exact same 8 blinking sequence problem on my fuel light.

I suspect too that it's just a flaw with these fuel pumps.
Not sure how I can fix it for $65 or $70 us dollars tho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
Skinny said it was a sending unit, not the pump. I don't know if he is right, but those aren't the same...

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Quote:
Yeah, the pump is working fine and bike is running as it should (like a beast)! Just the flashing light thing... I'm getting used to it and just reset the trip comp to zero at each full tank and get more after 100k's just so I dont run out.
Shame they dont have a real needle gauge.
Anyway Im used to bikes with NO gauge or light But from my limited and rather new to Warrior learning curve, I think the sender etc is inside the actual pump anyway.
ps: thanks to everyone on here for helping me cram in the knowledge.
Great forum!

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-04-2012 at 04:02 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #45 (permalink)

Excellent!
BrutalPancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #46 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 68ramair

So this remains an unsolved mystery as far as Cornholio's problem is concerned. He never posted if the problem was solved. He posted for over a year after this problem with no reference to any outcome, then disappeared never to be heard from again.

Those who post here looking for help with problems should follow up with the results. It only helps the rest of us who were trying to help to begin with. I know most of us do, just saying for future reference.

Check out and join the Warrior world map.
Contact randy_ny to add yourself to the map. Not me.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9f2e66c8dcf24b
68ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He updated his OP with his fix. Over time afterward several members discovered it wasn't always necessary to replace the sending unit (ie replace the entire pump assy to get the sending unit) but instead members found the items I mentioned earlier (green wire damaged, couplings corroded inside the tank but more often outside the tank). I believe the couple of guys who replaced their fuel pumps in the last year had verified they had actual pump failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Took my 05 warrior out for a spin tonight and low fuel light came on. After 5 miles of riding light started flashing 8 times over and over agian (code 8?). Pulled into gas station, filled her up and light still flashed all the way home. I did a search and seems like bad connection is most common cause. Any ideas where to start looking first??

Thanks

Update: After checking wiring and dry breaks, isolated fault to fuel pump sending unit, resistance too high (almost open circuit). Sending unit only serviced by replacing fuel pump assembly ($500.00). Replaced fuel pump and it fixed the problem. Thanks to all for your help with this very unusual problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ramair View Post
So this remains an unsolved mystery as far as Cornholio's problem is concerned. He never posted if the problem was solved. He posted for over a year after this problem with no reference to any outcome, then disappeared never to be heard from again.

Those who post here looking for help with problems should follow up with the results. It only helps the rest of us who were trying to help to begin with. I know most of us do, just saying for future reference.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions