low fuel light flashing - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default low fuel light flashing

Took my 05 warrior out for a spin tonight and low fuel light came on. After 5 miles of riding light started flashing 8 times over and over agian (code 8?). Pulled into gas station, filled her up and light still flashed all the way home. I did a search and seems like bad connection is most common cause. Any ideas where to start looking first??

Thanks

Update: After checking wiring and dry breaks, isolated fault to fuel pump sending unit, resistance too high (almost open circuit). Sending unit only serviced by replacing fuel pump assembly ($500.00). Replaced fuel pump and it fixed the problem. Thanks to all for your help with this very unusual problem.
cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: low fuel light flashing

Try the two dry breaks. One is under your seat, the other is beneath the left side AIS cover. Make sure they are pushed all the way in until you hear them click.
RaySDF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

What are the Dry Breaks, are these the connectors that allow the removal of the tank without first draining it?
mat4uscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by mat4uscg

What are the Dry Breaks, are these the connectors that allow the removal of the tank without first draining it?

Exactly [[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]]. Pull them completely off and then try to reconnect both of them. You should hear an audible "click" on both when you reattach them.

By the way, the fuel light flashing 8 times in a row doesnt mean code 8. There isnt an error code 8 (it doesnt exist). It was just coincidence. It sounds like it could be a dry break issue. The light flashing 8 times is just a fluke.

Hope this helps!!
Dave
Warrior_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just curious if next time you rode it did it clear itself out or is it still flasing? Did you notice when you gassed up if you over-filled the tank right up to the cap? Just wondering.

quote:Originally posted by cornholio

Took my 05 warrior out for a spin tonight and low fuel light came on. After 5 miles of riding light started flashing 8 times over and over agian (code 8?). Pulled into gas station, filled her up and light still flashed all the way home. I did a search and seems like bad connection is most common cause. Any ideas where to start looking first?? Thanks
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Try doing a diagnostic check, here's how:
ENGINE CODES:

11 - NO SIGNAL RECEIVED FROM CYLINDER IDENTIFICATION SENSOR (CAM POSITION SENSOR)

12 - NO CRANK POSTION SIGNAL

13 - AIR INTAKE SENSOR #1 - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

14 - INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR #1 - PIPE CLOGGED OR THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) STUCK

15 - TPS - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

16 - STUCK TPS SENSOR

19 - SIDE STAND SWITCH - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

20 - ATMOSPHERIC SENSOR VOLTAGE & AIR INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR VOLTAGE DIFFER GREATLY

22 - AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

23 - ATMOSPHERIC SENSOR - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

25 - AIR INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR #2 - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

26 - INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR #2 - PIPE CLOGGED OR THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS) STUCK

27 - OIL TEMP SENSOR - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

28 - ENGINE TEMP SENSOR - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

29 - DECOMPRESSION SOLENIOD (THERMISTOR) - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

30 - MOTORCYCLE HAS OVERTURNED

37 - FAULTY LINEAR CONTROL VALVE

38 - DECOMPRESSION SOLENOID - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

41 - LEAN ANGLE CUT OFF SWITCH - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

42 - NO NORMAL SIGNAL RECEIVED FROM SPEED SENSOR & OR NEUTRAL SWITCH OPEN/SHORTED

43 - ECU CAN NOT MONITOR BATTERY VOLTAGE - OPEN/SHORT DETECTED

50 - FAULTY ECU MEMORY

HOW TO PERFORM INDIVIDUAL SENSOR CHECKS, SET UP

- REMOVE SEAT & FOAM THING

- PRESS & HOLD SELECT AND RESET BUTTONS WHILE TURNING KEY ON, CONTINUE TO HOLD BUTTONS FOR APPROXIMATELY 8 SECONDS

- DIAG APPEARS IN THE CLOCK AREA OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL

- RELEASE BUTTONS, PRESS & HOLD SELECT AND RESET BUTTONS AGAIN FOR APPROXIMATELY 2 SECONDS

- DISCONNECT FUEL PUMP CONNECTOR - LOCATED UNDER THE LEFT REAR CORNER OF GAS TANK. FUEL LIGHT ON INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL FLASH, THIS IS OK.

- INSTRUMENT PANEL WILL DISPLAY:
CLOCK SECTION: DI 01 (THIS IS THE 1ST DIANOSTIC CHECK)
ODOMETER SECTION: A NUMBER, USUALLY 15-17 (THIS AREA SHOWS THE VALUE OF THE SENSOR)

PERFORMING SENSOR CHECKS
( SELECT BUTTON WILL SCROLL UP, RESET BUTTON WILL SCROLL DOWN THRU THE CHECKS )

- DI 01 - THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR: TWIST THROTTLE, VALUE = : CLOSED =15 - 20, OPEN = 95 - 100.

- DI 02 - ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE SENSOR: VARIES DEPENDING ON ATMOS. PRESS FOR THE DAY

- DI 03 - AIR INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR #1: VALUE = 10-200 MMHG

- DI 04- AIR INTAKE PRESSURE SENSOR #2: VALUE = 10-200 MMHG

- DI 05 - INTAKE TEMP: MEASURE WITH TEMP GAUGE, COMPARE TO VALUE ON DISPLAY

- DI 07 - SPEED SENSOR: VALUE = 0-999

- DI 08 - LEAN ANGLE CUT OFF SENSOR: VALUE = 0.4 - 1.4 VOLTS

- DI 09 - FUEL SYSTEM VOLTAGE: VALUE = 0 - 18.7 VOLTS (12 VOLTS NORMAL)

- DI 10 - OIL TEMP SENSOR: VALUE = -30 TO 200*C / -22 TO 392*F

- DI 11 - ENGINE TEMP SENSOR: VALUE = -30 TO 200*C / -22 TO 392*F

- DI 20 - SIDE STAND: VALUE = ON/OFF

- DI 21 - NEUTRAL SWITCH: VALUE = NEUTRAL - ON, IN GEAR - OFF

- DI 30 - IGNITION COIL #1: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES.

- DI 31 - IGNITION COIL #2: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES.

- DI 36 - INJECTOR #1: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES WITH A CLICKING SOUND.

- DI 37 - INJECTOR #2: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES WITH A CLICKING SOUND.

- DI 50 - FUEL SYSTEM RELAY: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES WITH A CLICKING SOUND.

- DI 52 - HEADLIGHT RELAY: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SHOULD FLASH 5 TIMES WITH A CLICKING SOUND.

- DI 54 - LINEAR CONTROL VALVE: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK FOR ACTUATION (CYCLING) SOUND.

- DI 55 - DECOMPRESSION SOLENOID: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. CHECK FOR ACTUATION (CYCLING) SOUND.

- DI 60 - E2PROM: VALUE = 01 - 02 FOR CYLINDER MALFUNCTION. 00 = NO MALFUNTION.

- DI 61 - MALFUCTION HISTORY: VALUE = 11 TO 55, 00 = NO MALFUNTION.

- DI 62 - MALFUNTION HISTORY ERASE: 00 TO 21, 00 = NO MALFUNTION
TO ERASE HISTORY: TURN ENGINE STOP SWITCH TO OFF THEN BACK ON. DISPLAY SHOULD READ 00.

- DI 70 - CONTROL NMBER: DISPLAYS THE PROGRAM CONTROL NUMBER, VALUE = 00 - 255.
blacksinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rode in to work today and the low fuel light still flashes 8 times over and over the entire 45 minute ride in. Unfortunately it did not resolve itself, I'm not that lucky with my stuff.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by cornholio

Rode in to work today and the low fuel light still flashes 8 times over and over the entire 45 minute ride in. Unfortunately it did not resolve itself, I'm not that lucky with my stuff.

I had my fuel light on when the dry break under the seat was not connected fully.

But is was a steady light, not blinking. Sorry thats not an answer, just helping eliminate something.
67fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Light still flashes, comes and goes now, flashes more often than not. Found a schematic, very poor quality compared to Ford manuals that I'm used to but I think I can figure it out. I need to pull off seat, head light and tach and do a thorough check of fuel sender circuit. I'm sure there is a bad electrical connection somewhere, I'll post up what I find. Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

wow, did you ever reseat the dry breaks?
gchalifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions