speedo error - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default speedo error

am i reading these posts correctly? our speedos are reading anywhere from 5% to 10% too fast? if this is true, yamaha should do something like recall all of them and give us new speedos installed by a dealer mechanic while you wait for less than 15 minutes guaranteed. i am going to start campaigning for this because i want to know exactly what my speed is.
deerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: speedo error

I've often wondered why the speedo can't be accurate, should be. I have a friend who has a Kawasaki 1600 Classic, he said his is the same way.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe it has to do with the front and back tires being different sizes.
Eric357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by deerom

if this is true, yamaha should do something like recall all of them and give us new speedos installed by a dealer mechanic while you wait for less than 15 minutes guaranteed.

Uh yeah, it's true....good luck with your campaign.

(Recall??? That's a good one![[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]][[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]][[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]][[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]])
condrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Probably trying to avoid liablity of some sort. Keeping the speedo as it is (showing more than really is) could be some dumb marketing idea from the corporate mongrols hoping that we rely on it instead of accuracy. Just a big numbers play. Ask a cop to help you find the range of inaccuracy with every ticket. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nedreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Get a GPS to see where you are at. All my vehicles are off by about 3 mph. 80 is always 77 on gps.
romano71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Now whats really going to get you pissed off is when you find out that every vehicle made has a speedo that reeds too fast.

So far, every motorcycle, car and truck that I've put my GPS on has read between 4-10% high. Good luck on your recall.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wes

All bikes are off, most cars too. And what's funny is you can get different readings from different radar guns pointed at the same vehicle.

Think of it this way, that's why police usually give a 5 mph buffer before they issue tickets.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are more things to worry about then your speedo reading indifferent than actual. Good Luck on your campaign, you'll need it.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Don't expect a recall since cycle speedometers have "optimistic" calibration on purpose. Nedreck is correct, it's a liability issue. The good news is that your odometer is probably accurate due to federal regulations.

There's an easy and relatively inexpensive solution though. Sporttour.com sells a gadget called a SpeedoHealer for about $95. It allows you to calibrate your speedometer, and is quick and easy to install. The problem is that when you adjust your speedometer, it throws the odometer off since they both run off the same signal.

Using a GPS, I found that my speedo was off by 7% with stock tires (~1/2 tread) and pulleys. BTW, while I had the GPS handy, I checked my other vehicles ('00 F150 and '03 Envoy) and they were both spot on.
twerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion