Unused connector - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkiernan View Post
I have an unused connector with 1 red and 1 black wire. The red wire comes from the positive battery cable; the black wire comes from the ground side of the starter relay. the connector is white. Any clues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
The black wire at the starter relay powers the starter motor. I don't have a MC alarm system and different ones work in different ways so maybe that's what its for, to sense the key is 'on' indicating the owner is starting the bike and not a crook, and from that allowing the bike to start normally without the need to enter a code or press a remote-button or some such. Or maybe its for some other item that wants to know when the starter motor is cranking (its not the decompression solenoid). Or its remotely possible that someone installed something incorrectly and abandoned it in place. In any event, removing the connector won't do any harm and happily the wiring diagram can be checked to see there's no such stock connector at that point.

Quote:
Thanks for everyones advice. arizonawarrior, is it being used as a bypass to the relay ground since it basically bridges the relay for whatever component is plugged in to it?

That's nothing more than a jumper to by-pass the starter relay contact.

Both wires are connected to + 12vdc ... one is switched and one isn't

My .02 & opinion, the previous owner has/had an intermittent issue with the starter relay. You can check it out by putting a jumper across the connector pins

*** REMOVE THE JUMPER ***

Last edited by alanh; 11-29-2012 at 10:07 AM.
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Tex, lemme tell you this crazy thread really got me energized today so I have lots of ideas!

My original thinking was a guess based on how and where its wired, so yes it could have been installed as a stand-by jumper for starting troubles. If it were me, I'd use a switch and I'd connect both wires to the starter relay assembly lugs for ease. This would keep me from maybe getting zapped in the rain (DOH!) by fumbling the jumper wire, plus there'd be no need to store a jumper wire on-board in case needed.

Or, with a connection plug of that style, it seems possible its for an alarm system, or an alarm system with (for example) a keyless-start feature (or even a stand-alone keyless-start system) like: Keyless Ignition RFID Push Button Start systems (its just a google result as an example and I did not look if it would work on the Warrior). A 'generic' aftermarket alarm or keyless-start system would probably instruct to connect to the battery POS and also to the 'starter lead after the starter relay' because if its not Warrior-specific then its generic to a large number of motorcycles with different electrical systems. If that is the case then there would have been another set of wires to connect to the bike too.

As fun as it is to dream up possibilities it seems like maybe there's no way to know. I have to say this has been one of the most fun 'what-the-heck-is-this' mysteries in awhile, thanks for posting it!

Quote:
Thanks for everyones advice. arizonawarrior, is it being used as a bypass to the relay ground since it basically bridges the relay for whatever component is plugged in to it?

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-29-2012 at 04:16 AM.
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

i have to ask the obvious. can you talk to the guy you bought it from?
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion