supreme legends forward control review - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default supreme legends forward control review

I traded for a set of supreme legends forward controls. took me a while to get them on because the master cylinder was junk. have them on and put about 10 miles on them today.

- they look cool. no question about that.
- they are comfortable if you are tall with a decent inseam. I'm 6ft3 and they are right on.
- I was warned that the master cylinder didn't match the warriors caliper and that they would work but I would have a stiffer pedal. I spoke with the guy who runs supreme legends and he said that I wouldn't have less brake but that it was all right at the bottom of the pedal so I wouldn't be able to feather the rear brake as I normally would. the pedal is stiff and takes twice the pressing force to activate. like going from power brakes back to manual brakes. I can lock up the rear wheel. the brake doesn't feel good though. I assume that in a few more miles I will get used to the way it brakes and have no issues the same way many of us have with raked trees.
- my current feeling is that the forward controls are not an upgrade to the warrior. the warrior has hella braking power and I feel that these controls have handicapped it. i may change my feelings on that after a few miles but right now its how i feel.
-my suggestion to all those seeking out forward controls. do yourself a favor. save money and keep your superior braking power and buy and extension kit for your stock set up. I'm hoping to get used to these but i wouldn't be surprised if i pull them off next winter for a stock set up...so when it gets cold feel free to ask me to trade!
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice write up Evil and very honest, I felt the same way and changed back to the originals two weeks after installing them as we have plenty of twisties were I live and the brake sensitivity is crucial. I hope your thread helps others.

Heff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great write-up up Evil ... That's what holds me back frm the forward controls.... Hope it work's up for u bro....

Sent from my Z831 using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I traded my stocks for a set of forwards and also feel what you're talking about. I can feel how they brake less but can also stick if you press hard enough. I've already skidded while coming to a stop. Isn't there somewhere here on the forum where someone changed the cylinder out for a much bigger one or closer to the stock one???
RobbSkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSkllz View Post
I traded my stocks for a set of forwards and also feel what you're talking about. I can feel how they brake less but can also stick if you press hard enough. I've already skidded while coming to a stop. Isn't there somewhere here on the forum where someone changed the cylinder out for a much bigger one or closer to the stock one???
You actually need a smaller bore size to get closer to stock. I think stock bore is like 1/2" and the Legends is 11/16".

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the honest opinion, I've always been on the fence about forward controls...
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSkllz View Post
I traded my stocks for a set of forwards and also feel what you're talking about. I can feel how they brake less but can also stick if you press hard enough. I've already skidded while coming to a stop. Isn't there somewhere here on the forum where someone changed the cylinder out for a much bigger one or closer to the stock
one???
You actually need a smaller bore size to get closer to stock. I think stock bore is like 1/2" and the Legends is 11/16".
Thanks Gil, good to know. I figure just swap out the whole M/C, reservoir combo right.
RobbSkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the write up. I got my SL FC's for looks and comfort. It would be great to get the correct bore size and therefore perfance at least equal to stock setup!
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Neat and informative write-up Evilrider!

Not to hijack your excellent thread but to bring clarity to the mechanics of this MOD I've enclosed a couple of early contributions by this writer specific to the Legend/Supreme/Phat FWD controls.
ehacker01,

Stock Warrior
Bore .50" = .196 sq~in
Stock Pedal Leverage = 5.33
50 lb Force at pedal = 50 x 5.33 = 267 lbs Force @ Master Piston
267/.196 = 1362 psi to the caliper

Legends
Bore .75" = .442 sq~in
Legends Leverage = 6 estimated?
50 lb Force at pedal = 50 x 6 = 300 lbs Force @ Master Piston
300/.442 = 679 psi to the caliper

The leverage used is the ratio between the pivot point measured to the brake pedal pad and the clevis connection to the push rod. When the angle of the clevis is 90 degrees to the master the force applied is the greatest. Less than 90 degrees there is a trig factor that can be used. With the stock pedal adjusted properly it's not an issue.Bottom line, the Legends will require additional pedal effort to stop the bike. Because they have a larger displacement the pedal will feel firmer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh View Post
Marco Polo ..... this is nothing new regarding braking differences unless bore sizes have changed. Here's an old post on the subject that explains the dynamics of the hydraulics:
Rear brake M/C bore size? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums
The rear Warrior caliper piston bore= 41.3mm= 1.63" dia = 2.09 sq~in

2.09 sq~inx 1362 lbs/sq~in= 2842 lbs Force applied to the pad from the caliper piston

2.09 sq~inx 679 lbs/sq~in= 1417 lbs Force applied to the pad from the caliper piston

NOTE: Keep in mind that the calculated forces are based on the initial *50 lbs Force at pedal

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 03-20-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have heard of people sleeving them to 1/2" but did not bother myself. They press a brass sleeve inside then hone to original spec's any brake company should be able to help.

Heff

heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion