Chrome Illusion Paint by Dupont - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chrome Illusion Paint by Dupont

Anyone have any experience with this color? I believe it's the one that changes colors depending on the light.
Thinking about painting the bike.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chrome Illusion Paint by Dupont

A friend did his excursion with it and it looked awsome. from one angle it was green and as you moved around it changed to almost brown but through a range of color. I think it is the way it lays down that different crystals reflect different spectrums of light so as light hits it from different angles a different color is reflected. Again that is just a guess. I know it cost a few bucks though.
Daimon1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I found these they are on cards and are different colors from left and right view. The guy is trying to figure out what he wants.http://www.heritagesonline.homestead.com/SprayBooth.html the site not much info.
Daimon1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have that on my Roadstar. I only used that paint in my graphics though over a black base. I personally think it's just to much when the whole bike is done. The color change happens best over the curve of whatever you are painting. On flat areas it doesnt look as good and doesnt change colors as well when the sun hits hit.

Image Insert:
Dragwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info everyone. Good to get input from all sides. I think the radical color is just what fits this bike. I agree with the guy who is painting his truck. Probably not a good fit when it comes to the vintage car, but it sounds like something fitting for the Warrior.
Keep em coming!!!

By the way. How difficult is it to prep the tank for sanding painting? I am thinking to just empty the tank, remove the fill cap and your done.

Front fender looks easy. Already have the back fender removal down.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dupont Info on Chrome Illusion paintsChromaLusion® Tri-Coat Color Sampler

ChromaLusion® Tri-Coat colors is the DuPont trademark for a special tri-coat offering utilizing subtle, rich, vibrant layers of DuPont ChromaLusion® Color sandwiched between a DuPont Basecoat and a DuPont clear. Different effects can be achieved by the application and amount of ChromaLusion® color applied over the basecoat. You can achieve an infinite number of custom Tri-Coats by applying varying amounts of ChromaPremier® Factory Packaged ChromaLusion® color over any base color. It's that simple! This sandwiched layer of ChromaLusion® Color has no color of its own but creates color with a prism effect by refracting or bending light through a five layer flake construction. This results in a custom look unique to your creation.

An infinite number of colors are created by the combinations of Basecoat and ChromaLusion® color used, application technique and viewing angle.

ChromaLusion® Midcoat Colors Recommendations

Apply 2-3 light to medium coats of ChromaLusion® color to achieve the selected color ranges. Some colors will require reduction up to 150% and very light coats to provide the proper amount to midcoat. Too much midcoat will mask the color. Too little will minimize the effect. When repairing ChromaLusion® Tri-coat colors, always make a let-down panel of midcoat over basecoat to determine the best technique for matching the existing color.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Dupont Info on Chrome Illusion paintsChromaLusion® Tri-Coat Color Sampler

ChromaLusion® Tri-Coat colors is the DuPont trademark for a special tri-coat offering utilizing subtle, rich, vibrant layers of DuPont ChromaLusion® Color sandwiched between a DuPont Basecoat and a DuPont clear. Different effects can be achieved by the application and amount of ChromaLusion® color applied over the basecoat. You can achieve an infinite number of custom Tri-Coats by applying varying amounts of ChromaPremier® Factory Packaged ChromaLusion® color over any base color. It's that simple! This sandwiched layer of ChromaLusion® Color has no color of its own but creates color with a prism effect by refracting or bending light through a five layer flake construction. This results in a custom look unique to your creation.

An infinite number of colors are created by the combinations of Basecoat and ChromaLusion® color used, application technique and viewing angle.

ChromaLusion® Midcoat Colors Recommendations

Apply 2-3 light to medium coats of ChromaLusion® color to achieve the selected color ranges. Some colors will require reduction up to 150% and very light coats to provide the proper amount to midcoat. Too much midcoat will mask the color. Too little will minimize the effect. When repairing ChromaLusion® Tri-coat colors, always make a let-down panel of midcoat over basecoat to determine the best technique for matching the existing color.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

The color shift paints are no more difficult to apply than other basecoats, but your preparation is more critical. This really hinges on the expense of this material. It is about $35.00 and ounce. As stated earlier it is best applied over a dark base, but different effects can be achieved over different bases.
As for preparation, I prefer to strip the stock paint from the metal and go back with metal etching primer, primer surfacer, black sand, then apply sealer coat, color coats, and clea coats. Besides allowing you a bare surface to perform body work on it eliminates any possibility of material incompatibility and lessens the chance for chipping as you end up with less buildup.
warrior4ap
warrior4ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

This page has some samples a bike w/ chromalusion on it.

http://www.csi-net.net/~super/bender.htm
kingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kingham. thanks for the link. I think my best bet is to go to a local auto shop and see it first hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion