How do you make spray paint shine? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you make spray paint shine?

OK, so its not on my bike, but the theory is still the same. I bought this little car to run to work and back. Made a great project since it needed some stuff including taking a dent out of the passenger door. I have minimal experience at this kind of stuff because finess is not my thing. I bought all of the stuff pulled the dent out, put some filler on it, primed it and painted it. Is there such a thing as spray paint that will really shine as good as what is on the lid? It is supposed to be gloss black but it is really dull. How do you make it shine and blend in with the rest of the door? Its about a 18" X 24" area. Thanks!!

P.S. If you are ever thinking of doing something like this, be prepared for a lot of work. It doesn't look nearly as good as I wanted it to but 100% better than having the dent. I dont have the patience or knowledge to get it totally straight.
cerino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you make spray paint shine?

wet sanding and alot of love
monstrddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah some polishing and wet sanding might help but its really hard even if you have your own mixing station to make it the exact same color. also one ? what spray paint did you use and did you clear coat it. clear really helps it shine also if you take the new paint out to a seam its alot easier on the blend job. so if ya fill in a little more info I might be able to help I worked autobody for about four years
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've never realy seen "spray paint" realy shine. It's not realy made to. You can spray a clear over it, that will help. But if its out of a can, you'll never realy get it to a point of a car shine. If you do try, I would suggest after clearing it to let it sit for about 3 days tocure a little before doing anything (prefferably in the sun to bake it a little). Then try a 1200 grit paper to very lightly sand the area, being carful not to break through the clear. After that you would have to buff it out. Light pressure with a 3500 rpm buffer would work with a liquid rubbing compund. This is what I do on automotive finishes. Not sure what would happen with spray paint, but its worth a try.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well here is a pic. The top half of the door even in this shot here shows my problem. Please no laughing at my body work. The dent was pretty big so considering that, it was OK for an experiment. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] The paint was not an expensive one. I got it at WalMart or something. If someone knows of a particular brand that does really good, let me know. Also, I wet sanded it with 320 and that took it back off!! Had to re-prime and re-paint. I have a ton of polishing stuff but haven't tried any yet cause I am afraid that there is something else I needed to do before I polish.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Believe it or not, there are many shades of black. I found out painting the lower unit on my boat. Wal-Mart black looked gray compared to O.E.M. Mercury Phantom black. It was pricey but matched.
GottaHaveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Spray that whole upper door panel a sigle color, then try some clearcoat over it.
REDHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I had a can of Duplicolor black that I just sprayed on it and sprayed the whole door. Looks ten times better. Found out (after reading the can) that it was laquer. Not sure why, but it shines a whole **** of a lot better. Seems to me that you can't spray enamel over laquer. When i wet sanded earlier, it had laquer on first. I then resprayed with enamel. That might be why it looked so bad. I guess I will see what it looks like in the morning.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

wow thats interesting project for one thing that looks more like flat black and at walmart they should have some spray cans that actually say they are for painting cars but there are some better stuff at certain autoparts store they might be able to mix some black and put it in spray cans with good fan tips but looks like you just want to go were its not horribly ugly, and after you spray it when you wet sand you should only use the heavier grits like 320 and 500 on the primer and it should say that its sandable primer also if after it drys you spray a small fog of a flat black or anything but not enough to make it black that is unless you used black primer it will show you when you have made the primer smooth. anyway once you have sprayed the paint I wouldn't use that 320 grit on the finished paint you should try 1000 to 5000 grit if you feel you need to sand it at all but after words use alot of buffing compound.

well considering it looks like your already done this was just me spouting off have fun and ya its not good to mix different kinds of paint and if your going to paint over paint remember you have to scuff up the old paint.
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

You may not even have black after a few months in the sun. I tried "DEep Eggplant" from Krylon a few years ago on some Bronco parts and wound up with baby blue after 3 months outside.
DNGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion