Intermittent low end idle/shutoff problem - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
JW

Default Intermittent low end idle/shutoff problem

Hey Guys,

I'm a new 04 Warrior rider. Purchased the beast four weeks ago and ordered V&H Big Shots with Power Commander the same day. I've had a minor problem that could be major if the circumstance was right. It existed before I installed the pipes with PC and after. The symtom is this: when down shifting at low speeds and below 2,000 rpm the engine will die. It has happened cold and after warm up. To go along with the occassional croak, idle speeds are not consitant. It may be 850 this stop and next light or stop it may be 1200-1400. The idle can also vary start to start reguardless of engine temp.. I've taken it back to the dealer three times and they try remapping the PC and nothing else. It also sounds like a plug is dropping in and out if the throttle is held steady at 1500 rpm. Anyone had these symtoms?? I've been around engines of all types for 45 of my 58 years and know from experience, running a little lean or rich won't shut it down.

Rolled over the 1,000 mile break in yesterday and put 200 on a short cross country today. Nice ride at 65 - 70 mph on two lane roads. Milage ran 46 mpg.. More than I expected, that's great.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Intermittent low end idle/shutoff problem

Hey, Ive got the same problem and can't figure it out. I've had a couple different people look at it and no one can help. I hope someone here can help us. Good luck! If you find out when not on the site make sure you come back and tell us. I'll do the same.
biggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check to be sure the PCIII has a VERY GOOD connection on the right side (under the air intake). It's hooked to a wire bundle that has 3 wires. A loose connection here has been known to produce these symptoms. It should be soldered to the middle (white) wire.
No amount of remapping will help if the signals can't reliably reach the engine.
Hope this helps.
Kevin
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just noticed this same problem on my last ride. The bike died twice within a very short period of time, both times at low RPM's as I was shifting down and coming to a stop. I do not have the PCIII installed. Everything is stock, except for my VH BigShots. This concerns me a bit.....
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hello,

I have had the same problem recently. I adjusted my ECU in the cold, and when it warmed up I started getting backfire. I leaned it out some, and I have had it die on me on deceleration four or five times. What I am going to try is to replace the plugs, and richen up the mix some... I figure that it is possible that I fouled the plugs after the temperature rise. Also Wev'e been getting an abnormal ammount of rain this year, and the added humidity may play a part...
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

i have a new 02 when i got it about a month ago it would die at low rpm's also. but it did one thing different than yours. it would oscolate from 1000 to maybe 1300 rpm's up and down at every stop at idel, took it to my dealer they had not a clue ::like everything else i've asked them about.' i ajusted the idel down to between 850 to 950 rpm's and it completley stoped doing it. have you noticed your rpm's doing this at idel? if so you might try droping them down some. boone
boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem after recall with Speed* kit installed, tech said it was normal, huh! Well, I got a custom map, and problem about 95% gone! Also check throttle body sync, and yes, intermittent PC3 connections will do it too!
Good luck!
badnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
JW

At least I'm not losing my mind and there is a problem the dealer hasn't admitted. I do have the osc at idle some times. Idle has been adjusted several times. I'm going after a loose connection sense the issue existed prior to installing the PCIII and pipes.

Dyno-tune will come after problem is solved.

If anyone discovers a fix please post it.

Thanks for the feed back.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine does it too. It stalled on me a couple times last Saturday and my clock had reset. I'm hoping it's just from washing it. It dawned on me afterward that since I installed the BAK, everything's exposed under the tank and I should go easy with the hose now. Make sense?

NJW
NJ_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've had the same issue on and off... my idle is very low ~800, but it doesn't die all the time. I've got the PCIII, BAK and Samsom pipes... I'm going to check my PCIII connections when i get home today, but as long as i give it a little juice at the lights, it's fine. Maybe i'm idling too low? Dealer wasn't any help... hmm... i see some trends around here... i hope i don't have to go to NZ to get good service.
mystik711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion