SpeedStar cam specs - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default SpeedStar cam specs

Here are the Yamaha Speedstar Camshaft specifications as published by Yamaha on their website:http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/en/pdf/04_accCruis_43-54.pdf (see page 47 of the publication, shown as page 5 of 12 in *.pdf format).

Lift @ valve intake/exhaust = 9.3mm/9.3mm

Duration at 0.050" intake/exhaust = 241 degrees/235 degrees

Timing at 0.050" lift open/close = Intake = 12.0 BTDC/49.0 ABDC
Exhaust = 36.0 BBDC/19.0 ATDC

NOTE: Theoretical based on rocker arm ratio of 1.4:1. Valve train components, operation temperature and tolerance stackup will affect actual lifts.

8. Competition Camshaft Set
Includes both front and rear cams. Offers increased mid-range and top-end power from 3200 rpm up. Produces peak horsepower around 5500 rpm. Must use Competition Valve Springs with these camshafts. Uses the stock decompression mechanism for easy starting yet higher performance.

Fits 02~'04 Road Star Warrior

SPD-5PX09-10-14

I know there have been threads in the past that tried to compare Pr and OE to the Speedstar cams. I don't know if the aftermarket publishes their specs, but here are Yamaha's. So now, maybe some comparisons can be made.
Spear Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: SpeedStar cam specs

Doing a few calculations results in

Overlap @ .050 = 31.00 degrees
Intake Centerline = 108.50 degrees ATDC.
Exhaust Centerline = 98.50 degrees BTDC.
Lobe separation = 103.5 degrees

I sure would like to know what the stock specs are.
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not veary impressive! Does anyone know the specs for the stock cams for comparison? I know Patric and O E cam specs are a trade seceret.

TRex[[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]]
rxape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

What I know about cam profiles would fit on the head of a pin, BUT . . .

Couldn't someone come up with a cam profile that was mid-way between the radical cams offered by OE / PR and those of the Yamaha Speedstar profiles? Then, maybe we could still use "normal" valve train hardware, so the price could be kept about the same as the stuff for twin-cam Harleys? I mean, come ON, $900 for cams. Heck, the bike only cost $11,000 new (not MSRP, but what people actually paid!). That puts a set of cams ALONE at over 8% of the cost of the entire bike. Sorry, too rich for this po' boy's blood.

See ya,

Gary
Old 12-12-2004, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Speedstar spec' cams are the max you can get away with "normal" valve train componets. Trust me I'd LOVE to have an "in between" cam for your guys for less $$.
Rob Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Very interesting. Although I knew the speedstar specs' I wondered about the OE and PR ones. I'm already getting a sportbike like surge in power with the speedstar cams and my headwork, wonder what y'alls would do?
jpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yamaha Speedstar:
Lift @ valve intake/exhaust = 9.3mm/9.3mm = 0.366 inches
Duration at 0.050" intake/exhaust = 241 degrees/235 degrees

Patrick Racing (for Harley applications)
13003 Crane Camshaft Kit-Twin Cam 88-Moderate Street, Cruising 242/505" $253.00
or for a more radical approach . . .
13004 Crane Camshaft Kit-Twin Cam 88-Max Street Performance 260/600" $253.00
Or go with the PR "house grind" . . .
2053 PATRICK RACING Cams - PR3 - .608 lift 266 duration $172.50
and put in some nice push rods . . .
3593 Jim's-Adjustable Titanium Push Rods/Twin Cam $198.00

Patrick Racing (for Warrior Application)
PR - FLAT TAPPET CAM KITS
Flat Tappet Cam Kit includes: cams, hard face lifters & adj lightweight tappered pushrods in your choice of titanium or aluminum.
3044 PR FLAT TAPPET CAM KIT w / Titanium Pushrods - Yamaha Warrior $835.00

Orient Express doesn't have any direct comparables, but many of their four cylinder cam kits are less than $400. For example:

CAM 1050-201 GSXR11 86-90.375/380 399.95
CAM 0900-202 NINJA900/1000 CAMS 349.95
CAM 1000-201 KAW Z1/KZ1 520/485 374.95

Yet, here are the prices for Yamaha's RS and RSWarrior . . .

CAM XV16-201 ROADSTAR STAGE 1 CAM 925.00
CAM XV17-201 XV17 WARRIOR CAMS 925.00

Now, I do realize that different engines will cost more or less than others when designing components. But THE MOST EXPENSIVE components seem to be those for the Yamaha Roadstar and Roadstar Warrior.

Are these engines engineered THAT POORLY? I mean, DANG, those lifters and pushrods and cams that come in these engines, why, it's a wonder the poor Warrior engine even runs.

Yep, seems to be some difference between the price of the Harley cams and the Yamaha Warrior Cams in cost. Again, we Warrior owners are just so special . . .

I may sound like sour grapes and to some degree, I admit I am. The market will set the price, that's free enterprise. What ticks me off is that there are only two players in the hi-po field for the Warrior and because of that, we are having to pay HIGH PRICES to mod our bikes.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others will have a different take.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

The SpeedStar cams may be "not very impressive", but tell that to the 2 other stock Warriors that have only seen my tailight leaving them from the stoplight. My bike was really awakened from what I thought was just okay acceleration with those cams. Granted there are several other parts as well with the SpeedStar mod, but a lot of bang for the buck I think.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Centerline, do you remember the cost of the Speedstar cams, including parts and labor?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You're overlooking some important details Spear. If those cams were mass produced you'd see lower prices. These are custom grinds and will always cost more. The process was explained to me by an engineer at Crane Cams (here in Daytona Beach FL). There's a whole lot more than meets the eye, I wish I could remember every detail but suffice it to say there's not much profit in it for these companies (crane, comp. , etc) to mass produce cams for the Roadstar bikes, as a matter of fact they'd loose their shirts just making cams for this bike. With the tooling costs and production hold-up on a more profitable segment of their buisness it makes no sense for them to produce cams for this bike.
The speedstar cams -are- less than half the price, but are hard to get. As well, there has been as of late, some reports of intermittant lifter failures -with even the stock cams. Mines been holding fine for a year now but I'm keeping a close ear on this now. The OE and PR parts are pricey, and could be probably had for less money, I know the valves, pistons, springs, and push rods have a pretty good profit margin but are within normal buisness practices. Heck you'd be suprised at your Yamaha dealers profit margin on stock parts, they put these guys to shame!
jpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion