RS Warrior Forum banner

Crank position sensor / Pickup sensor

91K views 194 replies 93 participants last post by  Heftysmurf 
#1 ·
I think we need a sticky for this topic it seems this topic is popping up on a daily basis and causing a lot of grief for some people who have numerous failures.
We should try and "stay on topic" and post pics of the install and the symptoms of a bad sensor so we know if and when our Warriors might have a bad sensor.
The obvious problem is the engine just dies and you get a code 12 on you gauges.
The other problems seem to be that the engine just starts running erratic at certain rpm's.
Feel free to post up your bikes specific problems/ how it was acting when your sensor went bad.
I will post upsome pics that redhorse posted up for us several months back as well as some pics from jamesd's 3rd cps failure and fix to get the ball rolling.
Post your pics if you have some so everyone can benefit .
It seems that some sensors are experiencing broken wires at the end of the sensor where the wires connect and the thought seems to be that when installing the sensor there should be a little slack left at the end of the sensor wires to keep them from pulling on the solder joints and breaking from excessive tension or vibration. Or it's just a faulty design. Jamesd actually had the bracket break off on the tabs that hold the sensor to the case, that's a new one. I would suggest applying High temp silicone to keep the wires from vibrating and breaking. You might be able to use epoxy but no one has tried it yet. Spray it with brake cleaner or clean it up with some sort of solvent to make sure their is no oil residue on the plastic first so the silicone has a good clean surface to stick to . Clean the oil residue off your threads of your screws and the threads where they screw in and use loctite. Remember loctite wont work if you have oil all over your threads. This is my solution to the broken wire problem. Maybe you want to do this as a preventative type thing before you get stuck on the side of the road. just order a new gasket first. I dont work for Yamaha so do this at your own risk. Any other thoughts on this problem feel free to post up.
The part#'s for all years from 2002 to 2006 is 5px-81670-00-00 pick up assy.
The gasket # is 5px-15451-00-00.

Insert Image:

96.87 KB

Insert Image:

57.69 KB

Insert Image:

72.02 KB

Insert Image:

60.68KB broken tabs on jamesd's bike this is a new one

Insert Image:

83.16 KB CPS SENSOR

Insert Image:

66.89 KB Sensor with silicone

Insert Image:

63.01 KB Apply silicone

Insert Image:

93.99 KB Sensor installed with wire holders

See less See more
#195 ·
Well here is the Yamaha recall kit that was supplied to many of us. Make sure which ever kit you get has the gasket as I saw one that didn't include it.

Here is the CPS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.