Bad Lifter cause engine damage? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bad Lifter cause engine damage?

Well, as I posted before, I think I have a collapsed lifter on my 05 with 5000 miles on it. There is a lot of ticking in the cam area mostly after it warms up.

I was planning on checking with Yamaha as suggested by JamesD when I saw him at Deals Gap but I realized that even if I could get them to look at it, I'm not comfortable with my Yamaha shop opening up my engine. Also, XHarleyrdr suggested checking my valve adjustment, but I have yet to do that.

My question is, Will I do any further engine damage running it with the ticking? I seem to have normal power and no other issues Although it seems to want to idle really low like 500 RPM, near stalling (only sometimes)only when cold, not sure if that's related. Goes away when the engine is warmed up.

My plan is to save some cash and do the lifters, Speedstar Cams, Valve springs, Adjustable push rods, collapsable tubes and possibly the 110 big bore at the same time. But that could be a couple of months. I would probably only put about 500-600 miles on it in that amount of time, will I tear things up worse? Seems like I'd be replacing anything that could tear up anyway like pushrods and cams.
condrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bad Lifter cause engine damage?

As long as it is just a lifter not pumping up, I don't think that could cause much damage besides a lower lift on the valve than a pumped up lifter, but you don't know that is the exact cause until you open it up. If you have been riding for 5000 miles on it, then another 500-600 miles probably won't make a difference.

If you have an inkling that it might have something wrong... ride it till it squeals...you will either put your mind at ease or end the suspense LOL!
CrumbTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by CrumbTray

If you have been riding for 5000 miles on it, then another 500-600 miles probably won't make a difference.

The bike has 5000 miles on it, the ticking just started a few weeks ago. I was using Yammilube (like an idiot), I stuck with it until I changed over to Mobil 1 vtwin at about 4000-4500 miles. The ticking started before I changed to mobil 1 and sounds the same after the change. The ticking wasn't bad enough for me to cancel my trip to Deals Gap, I put about 500 miles on it up there. What a great place to ride.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just my guess, but if it is ticking down by the cams, then your valves shouldn't be the problem. It sounds like a lifter to me. Time for a lifter swap, and from what I've heard and seen, it's not too hard to do yourself.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

check out this post

Posted - 04/15/2005 : 06:40:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my lifters replaced by my dealer after the tranny recall. 2 of the 4 had collapsed, they did it without giving me any grief, either. When I was told it would take a while to get yamaha lifters, my service manager told me he knew of lifters he could get at the local autoparts store, in stock. Said they were just as good if not better than Yamaha's. The lifters are called Odd Fire and they are for Chevy V8's from the mid eighties. As an added bonus these lifters also cost less than Yamaha's. Not sure how much, cause they were replaced at no cost to me. I put over a hundred abusive miles on mine so far, and everything is running great.

I will try and get a part number off of him. I forgot to ask at the time and everytime I call up there he's swamped with spring time business.

Update here's the part number:

Odd Fire
Melling Engine Parts
Part # JB-2011
buckeyetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would try just changing to a good synthetic and see if this reduces or eliminate it all together. (if you have gone for a while since oil change or the oil is dirty you could try a quater cup of Seafoam in the oil - let idle till warm, then drain it, and refil with sythetic) You have not lost anything by trying. A collapsed lifter should not cause you much trouble unless you are riding against the revlimiter all the time.
Jon_Cocktoastel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have changed to Mobil 1 v-twin 20W 50 and it hasn't changed it at all. I'll try the seafoam, I didn't think of that.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

quote:Originally posted by BuckeyeTim

check out this post

Posted - 04/15/2005 : 06:40:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my lifters replaced by my dealer after the tranny recall. 2 of the 4 had collapsed, they did it without giving me any grief, either. When I was told it would take a while to get yamaha lifters, my service manager told me he knew of lifters he could get at the local autoparts store, in stock. Said they were just as good if not better than Yamaha's. The lifters are called Odd Fire and they are for Chevy V8's from the mid eighties. As an added bonus these lifters also cost less than Yamaha's. Not sure how much, cause they were replaced at no cost to me. I put over a hundred abusive miles on mine so far, and everything is running great.

I will try and get a part number off of him. I forgot to ask at the time and everytime I call up there he's swamped with spring time business.

Update here's the part number:

Odd Fire
Melling Engine Parts
Part # JB-2011

That was me. After my recall, my bike was ticking real bad. My dealer told me to put some miles on it and see if it went away. When it didn't I took it back and they found 2 out of the 4 were collapsed. But there was no other damage to the bike. Still I didn't want to risk anything and I had them change it within a few hundred miles.

We put in the Odd Fire lifters and I've had them for over 5000 miles with not ticking and no more problems. I believe they only cost a few bucks a piece.
sangathor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

The problem is more than likely a bum lifter or two BUT.
BUT!!! Noisy lifters is also a symtom of low oil pressure. Verify your oil pressure, and if that's good, run it. Noisy lifters shouldn't hurt anything for a few hundred miles.

OTOH, a set of Melling lifters is only 40 bucks... two hours to install...
Melling #JB-2011
Bladerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by Bladerunr

The problem is more than likely a bum lifter or two BUT.
BUT!!! Noisy lifters is also a symtom of low oil pressure. Verify your oil pressure, and if that's good, run it. Noisy lifters shouldn't hurt anything for a few hundred miles.

OTOH, a set of Melling lifters is only 40 bucks... two hours to install...
Melling #JB-2011

Got that covered. I have an oil pressure gauge (see it in my gallery) it runs about 80 on startup and never below 15 when the motor is hot at idle in the florida heat. From all I've read here, that's what others with gauges see also.

Good to know it's only a couple hour install but I really want the cams and all the other goodies and the wife doesn't know what a lifter replacement involves so it's a good time if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion