Double up exhaust gaskets to stop leak? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Double up exhaust gaskets to stop leak?

I know it's not the ideal solution, but how many of you have doubled up exhaust gaskets to fix an exhaust leak?

I recently installed some vh big shots on my relatives bike. I purchased new gaskets, added some high temp grease, torqued to specs, even slotted the flanges on the advice of AlanH.

There's a leak in the rear cylinder. Tried adjusting the pipes a bit to make sure I wasn't getting a "false" tightening and re-torqued. Still getting a small leak.

Now, I'm thinking about doubling up the exhaust gasket on the rear. Bad idea, or no big deal?
Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Double up exhaust gaskets to stop leak?

How about just changing out to new exhaust gaskets and applying the correct torque? I know its a long shot, but its worked for me since day one.....and I have only changed my exhaust gaskets once thru 6 exhaust tear downs right to the exhaust ports.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just curious what bike your relative has, is it a Warrior? Anyway no matter, you said you already installed new gaskets and torqued. That usually does the trick. V&H pipes are normally high quality and good fitment. Are they new pipes or used, maybe bent? There have been a few times when doubling gaskets has worked, especially when they are steel braid like on the Warrior. But its best to correct the problem. If its a Warrior, for example, there might be a small threaded hole behind each header pipe where the smog tubes mount for California models. If its not plugged it leaks. Thought I'd ask a few questions is all.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's a 2005 warrior. Pipes are used but in good shape. Flanges look fine, not bent. Gonna try one more time this weekend with just one gasket and see what happens. The reason I say there's a leak is that there is definately some dark vapor rising from the rear exhaust after a ride. It's not there when I first fire the bike up, just after it's heated up for a while. When I put my hand by the fitting, i don't feel a stream of air. This may sound stupid.. could it be that maybe I applied too much "high temp" grease that maybe squirted to the outside upon tightening and is now burning off?

May buy a new torque wrench as I've been borrowing a friends and not sure when it was last calibrated.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

What,s a good way to check for exhaust leaks at that flange??
zanky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

My guess would be that it is the grease, most times if your exhauat leaks it will do it at startup when it is cold and when it warms up the metal expands and seals it up alittle more, does it backfire when you let off the gas when your running it hard? thats a tell tale sign of a leak
djkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

I use the Cigar method. Get the bike into a calm area. Light up a good cigar. Get it going good and take a good amount of smoke, and slowly let it out around the exaust flanges. If there is a leak you will see the smoke blow away from that area.
The old soap and water trick works, but makes a mess. (Liquid soap and water, spray on area to check, Bubbles are bad {works on tires as well}).
I use the first method when I want to sit out in the garage and enjoy a cigar.
Aertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good call.. sounds like I'll be enjoying some bourbon and a cigar tonight in the garage. Love this kind of troubleshooting. By the way.. the pipes sound fine.. using the default map for vh from the pwr commander site as he has no air kit.. no backfiring, very infrequent pop (probably due to no ais block on this bike yet either).
Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

just make sure there are no other leaks at or around the area when you do this - like flammable liquids...

If the leak is at the flange, make sure when you are tightening the bolts down that you apply equal torque and turns alternately on each bolt as opposed to tightening down one bolt and then the other....

You can also just use a strip of paper and tear fringes on one end and move it around to find the area with the exhaust leak...

quote:Originally posted by Vert

Good call.. sounds like I'll be enjoying some bourbon and a cigar tonight in the garage. Love this kind of troubleshooting. By the way.. the pipes sound fine.. using the default map for vh from the pwr commander site as he has no air kit.. no backfiring, very infrequent pop (probably due to no ais block on this bike yet either).
mdfdwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Might add....the torque for exhaust to headers pipes is I believe, if memory serves me right, 22 ftlbs & 21 ftlbs front to back. It is not much torque, just a snug fit. If you over torque you will blow out/crush the gasket and develope leaks.

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion