How do you drill through chrome?? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do you drill through chrome??

I have a vertical license plate that fits on the axle which has been extended to accommodate the bracket. I purchased it from telerider and he said that he just wrenched the nut down real tight and friction held it in place from spinning. That's fine until you're in the middle of nowhere and it comes loose. I was wondering about drilling it and putting a set screw in or will that mess up the chrome finish by chipping it or something else. Any other suggestions would be great too. Take care and ride safe.
rboundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you drill through chrome??

I'm not sure about your particular case, but generally if you have to drill thru something that is chrome plated, take your time and much patience.

1. cover area with a good thick tape like duct tape.
2. marks area with a marker
3. use a very small and sharp drill bit at high speed to start the hole and drill thru as needed.
4. progressively increase the size of the drill bit to the final size needed. The more progressive size and steps you take the better.

Depending on the quality of the piece and the chrome job, the chrom should not peel or flake.
Hope that helps - good luck!
mdfdwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with mdfwarrior on the procedure but I would think you might be better off using a locking nut with teflon or some threadlock (red or blue) instead of drilling the chrome.
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by mdfdwarrior

I'm not sure about your particular case, but generally if you have to drill thru something that is chrome plated, take your time and much patience.

1. cover area with a good thick tape like duct tape.
2. marks area with a marker
3. use a very small and sharp drill bit at high speed to start the hole and drill thru as needed.
4. progressively increase the size of the drill bit to the final size needed. The more progressive size and steps you take the better.

+1 I agree with mdfdwarrior. Thats how you drill a hole for a set screw or anything else on a chrome finish.
Depending on the quality of the piece and the chrome job, the chrom should not peel or flake.
Hope that helps - good luck!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Or you can use a #3130 chrome drill bit. Its self-starting and n-e-v-e-r scratches chrome, "honest" (lol).
Okay I'm just screwing around again after a stinkin' work day . . . don't pay any attention . . .
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

All the above recommendations are good but I would add one step - use a center punch where you want the hole to be. If not, even a small diameter pre-drill will want to walk away and follow some kind of corkscrew path everywhere except where you want the hole to be. And I'm sure you can imagine the scratching that will cause.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would never attempt it. But very carefully would be my guess. If theres any lifting of the chrome around the hole I'd seal it with some clear 2 part epoxy to prevent moisture from getting in there. Drys real quick to a rock hard state with good holding power.
ezg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion