Running on one cylinder! - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Running on one cylinder!

I need a little help! I went and picked my bike up out of storage today, installed battery and it fired right up, ran perfect! Got it home on a trailer started, ran fine. I went to take it for a quick ride and got 2 houses away and pop pop pop! Misfiring and not clearing up. I turn around, get home, and the neighbor was outside said it was blowing black smoke. It's the front cylinder that's not firing. I put sea-foam in the tank before winter. Could this be a bad plug or a clogged injector. I'm still pretty new with these bike's so I need some advise! Thank's
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Running on one cylinder!

Not sure what's wrong but on the bright side of things you still have enough with one cylinder to smoke about any Hardley that you run into.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah, but it sound's stupid on one cylinder!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just pulled the front and rear left side plug's, and the front is black and wet! I noticed there are 4 plug's on these bike's. How the #@$% do you get the right plug's out. Do you have to remove the tank. I'm getting pissed quickly! My tank is full, can I pull it off without spilling fuel everywhere!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just did my plugs today because my rear cylinder went dead. Mine where black and wet also but the new plugs fixed it. To get the right plug out use the plug tool and wrench in your tool kit. It's tight but with patience you can get it. The back right is the one that's hard to get to. But with the plug tool and wrench you can get it also.Remember to walk away when you get pissed man or thing will get worse! I have had to do it about ten times today!!
man78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can pull the tank full, you'll lose a couple teaspoons of fuel when you disconnect the dry breaks so just have a rag handy. once it's off, getting at the plugs is much easier.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

O.K., I wiped the two plug's off from the left side, switched them and fired the bike up, just to see what would happen! It was firing both cylinder's but really backfiring, shooting blue flames. I shut it down, pulled the plug's again, weren't bad looking, so I reinstalled them as they were originally, and now it run's fine. I took it for a short ride and even got after it and no issue's. Should I leave well enough alone, or change the plug's anyway's. What might have caused this issue in the first place. I took some picture's of my bike for the first time also to celebrate since I was so angry earlier!Any suggestion's
Old 04-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheap insurance to have a extra set of plugs on hand if you dont change them.I would change them, torch the tips on old ones and save 4 back-ups.
desvagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like it got flooded somehow. No idea how that would happen. See if your oil smells like gas or seems too thin. If so, probably a good idea to get a compression test. If not, chalk it up to gremlins and get out and ride!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren

Sounds like it got flooded somehow. No idea how that would happen. See if your oil smells like gas or seems too thin. If so, probably a good idea to get a compression test. If not, chalk it up to gremlins and get out and ride!
Stupid gremlin's, I bought a filter and oil the other day so I think I'm gonna change the oil and plug's before I ride it again, just to be safe. By the way how do I add pic's to my gallery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion