Running Rich - Power Commander? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Running Rich - Power Commander?

So the gas mileage on my bike is terrible 15-20 mpg and I know the bike is running rich. I can smell it, the exhaust is black, and the power is quite lacking (im certain my buddies has more power), and it stutters sometimes at lower rpms. Problem is I want to remap it, but it's an old serial power commander. Does anyone know if i can use a serial to usb cable and will the pc software recognize it? None of my computers have a serial port anymore....
madredr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Running Rich - Power Commander?

Maybe. USB depends on recognition hardwareon both ends. USB is serial, just universal serial. There are cables to convertand some claim the cable allows auto-recognition, however the one time I tried it - nothing happened - and I had to manually identify the serial port anyway. I didn't try it with a serial Power Commander but don't see why it would be different from any serial device recognition. If this doesn't work out for you, take the plunge and upgrade. Its so worth it!
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Running Rich - Power Commander?

As Arizona stated... the usb to serial converter will just add a Serial Com port to your PC... but you have to identify or modify the com port number your PC assigns to it.... most of the time the default would be Com1: and that should work just fine,but on some cases you might get a Com5: or higher and I dont think that the PCIII has a Com port selection for those higher com numbers..

If that is you case the you can somtimes just change the Com port # from the one assigned by default from your system...

Most software that comunicates through Serial com ports have selection setting from com1: to com4: only... I'm not sure on the PCIII
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion