Using washers for baffles? - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 68ramair
Default Re: Using washers for baffles?

I just installed the monsters on my ripsaws. I'm going to ride today and see what it's like. I'll try to post tonight or tomorrow with my 2 cents

Check out and join the Warrior world map.
Contact randy_ny to add yourself to the map. Not me.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9f2e66c8dcf24b
68ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Big City Thunder says to install their baffles 12"-16" from the end of the tail pipe (in the last straight section of pipe), for maximum benefit. The closer to the end of the pipe you go, the more low end torque you lose.

I love the Thunder Monster Baffle in my Pro Pipe. It sounds like an open pipe at full throttle, has a deep tone, and is somewhat quiet at idle. The low end torque is awesome!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoper50

Yes you will notice a difference and I think thats a perfect alternative to using a baffle. I wish I would have had that idea before I spent 80 bucks on baffles that basically do the same thing. The sound will quite down only slightly. What you will notice is the high notes in the exhaust (the ones that really damage your ears) will be gone. You will also notice that the jake bake sound on decel and between shifts will be greatly reduced if not gone. You can place them anywhere in the pipes you want, but looking at your picture, I'd put them as deep as you can in your tips. Most baffle manufacturers recommend installing them around 6 inches into the pipe.
The difference between the Thunder Monster baffles and the "lollipop" washer is that the complete baffle actually makes the pipe a bit smaller and will actually give you a bit more back-pressure than just the washer which is a good thing. Also the diameter of the "lollipop" and the hole are precise in the Thunder Monsters due to the research and development that went into the product. That's not saying these won't work, because they should and the results should be noticeable.
Pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice

Big City Thunder says to install their baffles 12"-16" from the end of the tail pipe (in the last straight section of pipe), for maximum benefit. The closer to the end of the pipe you go, the more low end torque you lose.

I love the Thunder Monster Baffle in my Pro Pipe. It sounds like an open pipe at full throttle, has a deep tone, and is somewhat quiet at idle. The low end torque is awesome!
Well, I couldn't put them in this week, so next weekend's the new time to install them. If it is true about putting them farther in to increase low-end, I think I'll go deeper than what I was originally going to do.

I may also weld up new ones with a bigger washer on the ends...
Edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice

Well, I couldn't put them in this week, so next weekend's the new time to install them. If it is true about putting them farther in to increase low-end, I think I'll go deeper than what I was originally going to do.

I may also weld up new ones with a bigger washer on the ends...

That is what Big City Thunder told me on the phone. It works great in my bike. If you're going to weld up new ones, why don't you get two 4" long pieces of s/s pipe that fit the insides of your pipes, and weld a stem (1/4" rod) and a small washer to them, at one end of the pipe, so that the washer is centered in the opening. Drill a 1/4" hole about 1" in from the other end, and thread it, or weld a nut to the inside of the pipe. Presto!! You've got Thunder Monster Baffles!! Now drill a 1/4" hole through your pipes, and slide the baffle in, and bolt it in place with a button head allen bolt.

I wouldn't make the washers bigger than what you have shown. The whole point is to create some turbulance, not to block off the exhaust.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 68ramair

Rode all day. Deeper tone, less high tone, no more jake on decel. Not too sure about the torque, I am in need of a map to appreciate that I think.

Check out and join the Warrior world map.
Contact randy_ny to add yourself to the map. Not me.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...9f2e66c8dcf24b
68ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

Been looking at baffle alternatives and ran across this thread and I'm looking for anyone's input that has done this. Here's an article that I found. HERE I think I might try it, maybe with a slight mod to it. Not really overly concerned about squeezing every little ounce of performance outta my bike. Thoughts?
M
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #28 (permalink)

So there you go Mark!
Interesting options....man you can try both. The washer baffle is cheap enough if you don't like it, then you can go with the other option....the monster baffles look like they would be a "shorter" solution then the V&H quiet baffles, which appear to be too long for what you are trying to accomplish.
gchalifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #29 (permalink)

wanted to share this utube link as it applies to the "butterfly" baffle solution being discussed here. The link provides some "real time" testing so you can hear the sound diffs. just thought this might help;

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
I haven't seen this is years. They worked okay on the old small-cube bikes back when the factory didn't care much about fine tuning. But these modern well-tuned big cube monsters would run likeplugged with a potato . Come to think of it,I don't know any bikes back then that even ran with these closed, do you OldMan?

[added] Hey, look what I found! Dan's Motorcycle "Four Stroke Exhaust Pipes"
gchalifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #30 (permalink)

Just make sure this doesn't happen.

Last edited by 8pack; 03-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.
8pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion