Using washers for baffles? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using washers for baffles?

Hello, I searched for this but came up short, so I figured I'll start a new post on it...

Anyway, I just slapped on new pipes (thanks Midnight Run!) and at first I was going to put baffles in them to quiet them down, thinking they were too loud.

I've since changed my mind about the nois, but I still wanted some back pressure. Some guy at the shop I work at made these for me and told me to try them out:

I've read up on them online, and supposidly they were once used for straight pipes.

My questions are:

1) Will I notice a difference with using these?

2) How will the sound change (if at all)?

3) Has anyone here done something similar?

4) How far should I put them in my pipes (see pic of my exhaust)

Edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Using washers for baffles?

Yes you will notice a difference and I think thats a perfect alternative to using a baffle. I wish I would have had that idea before I spent 80 bucks on baffles that basically do the same thing. The sound will quite down only slightly. What you will notice is the high notes in the exhaust (the ones that really damage your ears) will be gone. You will also notice that the jake bake sound on decel and between shifts will be greatly reduced if not gone. You can place them anywhere in the pipes you want, but looking at your picture, I'd put them as deep as you can in your tips. Most baffle manufacturers recommend installing them around 6 inches into the pipe.
Scoper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edders

Hello, I searched for this but came up short, so I figured I'll start a new post on it...

Anyway, I just slapped on new pipes (thanks Midnight Run!) and at first I was going to put baffles in them to quiet them down, thinking they were too loud.

I've since changed my mind about the nois, but I still wanted some back pressure. Some guy at the shop I work at made these for me and told me to try them out:

I've read up on them online, and supposidly they were once used for straight pipes.

My questions are:

1) Will I notice a difference with using these?

2) How will the sound change (if at all)?

3) Has anyone here done something similar?

4) How far should I put them in my pipes (see pic of my exhaust)

YOU HAVE THEM IN YOUR HAND.................. put them in and find out
INJEKTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

How big are the washers relative to the size of the pipe's diameter? Also, would I be correct in thinking that changing the angle the washers are installed (fully perpendicular to anything short of parallel) will change their effect on backpressure, torque, noise, etc?
scorchin scooter II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes that is correct, they just need to be relatively the same angle.

This is an old racing trick that works great in most cases. The only time I did this it was amazing how much effect it had. I was told to mount themboth uniformly angled 1" from the end of the pipe with the bolt sticking down but some guys smartlypointedthe bolt toward the frame and down,which hides itbetter. Remember to put some never-sieze on the threads, you'll mess around with it for awhile at first. There is no risk to installing them, they remove easily. You can also use a 1" stack of steel washers under a nut and bolt for backpressure but this solution is far more easily adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchin scooter II
Also, would I be correct in thinking that changing the angle the washers are installed (fully perpendicular to anything short of parallel) will change their effect on backpressure, torque, noise, etc?
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did something like this with a pair of Bub Chambermaids w/baffles that I had. I just put in longer baffle bolts and stacked nuts to fill up the shank. Noticed that the real sharp bark was gone as soon as I fired her up. I also noticed that it had more bottom end torque and felt stronger. One thing I also noticed was that it didn't rev quite as fast (may have been my mind tricking me) and didn't drop rpms as fast either. Mine was a quick $2 total for the change and could be put back in about 5 minutes. Go for it and maybe you should start making these for people if they work good.
allsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchin scooter II

How big are the washers relative to the size of the pipe's diameter? Also, would I be correct in thinking that changing the angle the washers are installed (fully perpendicular to anything short of parallel) will change their effect on backpressure, torque, noise, etc?
They are 1" washers and my pipes are 2.5" in diameter (maybe I should try bigger washers?)

I was a little iffy about drilling holes in my pipes but now I'm really curious as to what kind of changes these little babbies can do!

I'll post back after I put'em in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsmiles

Go for
it and maybe you should start making these for people if they work good.
Yeah, Edders City Baffles, only $50 per washer!
Edders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did a DIY Exhaust Mod and used 3" exhaust pipe with a Volkswagon Stinger exhaust baffle measuring at 2 " 7/8.Give me your email and i'll send you a pic. Sound you ask? Fricken awesome and crisp. Sounds like a Ducati 996 with BALLS! How far? 1/4" in from the low side of your angled cut.
Cbntlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsmiles
...maybe you should start making these for people if they work good.

They were put out commercialy in the 60s. The were called Snuff-or-Not. They did work quite well. Here a couple of pics of them. One open and the other closed.

My life is based on a true story.

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I haven't seen this is years. They worked okay on the old small-cube bikes back when the factory didn't care much about fine tuning. But these modern well-tuned big cube monsters would run likeplugged with a potato . Come to think of it,I don't know any bikes back then that even ran with these closed, do you OldMan?

[added] Hey, look what I found! http://www.dansmc.com/Exhaust_4.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan

They were put out commercialy in the 60s. The were called Snuff-or-Not. They did work quite well. Here a couple of pics of them. One open and the other closed.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion