rear wheel rubbing against swing arm - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rear wheel rubbing against swing arm

Hey guys, I recently took off the rear wheel nd found that it rubs against the swing-arm. found rubber marks on the inside of the swing arm on both sides and if I lift the bike on the jack I can hear the wheel rubbing with the arm. I'm having the hardest time aligning the wheel and keeping it from rubbing on the sides. Has this happened to anyone else that has the cycle image 240 kit? How can I fix this?
papajakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: rear wheel rubbing against swing arm

I haven't seen this problem before. How long have you had the kit installed? Did you get the cycle image 240 swing arm and the 240 widened wheel with Metz as a kit? That usually clears enough. How's the rear tire's air pressure? Is it the same tire as when you bought the kit or did you replace a worn tire with another brand?

If all these things are okay, then you are right its probably an alignment problem. The easiest way to describe the fix is to refer you to the service manual. Set-up your rear tire from scratch as if you had the rear wheel removed. I use incremental turns on the adjusters to keep it square as it tightens the drive belt. Tighten the rear caliper bracketlast.

You have a service manual right? The free e-copy on-line works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajakx

Hey guys, I recently took off the rear wheel nd found that it rubs against the swing-arm. found rubber marks on the inside of the swing arm on both sides and if I lift the bike on the jack I can hear the wheel rubbing with the arm. I'm having the hardest time aligning the wheel and keeping it from rubbing on the sides. Has this happened to anyone else that has the cycle image 240 kit? How can I fix this?
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have that too with my DIY swingarm / Metz 240 combo. When jacked up it doesn't make any squeaking noise but it has only a penny's width of clearence so I think it rubs when a side load is placed on it for example during turns and such.

Xander
md-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

hey arizona, yep its the240 swingarm with the 240 widened wheel and its the samemetz since the begining... tire pressure is fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Warrior

I haven't seen this problem before. How long have you had the kit installed? Did you get the cycle image 240 swing arm and the 240 widened wheel with Metz as a kit? That usually clears enough. How's the rear tire's air pressure? Is it the same tire as when you bought the kit or did you replace a worn tire with another brand?

If all these things are okay, then you are right its probably an alignment problem. The easiest way to describe the fix is to refer you to the service manual. Set-up your rear tire from scratch as if you had the rear wheel removed. I use incremental turns on the adjusters to keep it square as it tightens the drive belt. Tighten the rear caliper bracketlast.

You have a service manual right? The free e-copy on-line works fine.

Quote:

papajakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

I've had the opportunity over the years to work on several member'sbikes with the 240 modified arm from different Vendors w/Metz 240 tiremounted on a 8-1/2" Kosman weld-up wheel w/radius bead.This is not an uncommon occurrence at all andcan be remedied by the rear wheel alignment. The interference is more common on the RH side of the arm with the stock 32T frt pulley.

One Vendor's solution to this issue, withother sizemodified arms,has been to recommend a 31T frt pulley which will move the wheel back 1/4" approx eliminating the rubbing.

I have a DIYarm set-up w/Metz 240 tire mounted to a Kosman 8-1/2" weld-up wheel w/square edge bead a 33T frt pulley (moves wheelFWD 1/4") and only a nickels worth of clearance and haven't had any issues when the wheel is aligned properly. My personal experience has been with the Metz 240 and Pirelli Diablo tires and >21,000 miles. Both these tires are zero growth and not a problem.

This is what has worked forMe on my ride and is my methodology:
[*]Always run 40~42 psi COLD tire pressure and check before my rides though i've never heard any tire rubbing @ 38 psi[*]When adjusting belt tension and alignment i always snug-up firmly on the axle nut and keep slight pressure on the single caliper mounting bracket bolt so that it is in contact with the swing arm surface.
[*]My reason for this procedure is that as the axle is tightened the wheel alignment will drift in the swing arm.[*]I use an aluminum bar and amachinist hammer hitting against the appropriate end of the steel axle bolt LH or nut RH to move the axle FWD while adjusting.[/list][*]FYI, a bent rear axle will contribute to a chronicmisaligned belt@ the frt/rear pulleyand yes,rear axles do bend![/list]

My methodology for adjusting is shown below and there are many members that will dispute this procedure

rear pully/belt squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH
Sat, Feb 17 2007 8:29 PM
mctree....look at his gallery. It's an '07' [:0]
I suspect i's not worn out yet []

As stated earlier, IMO the belt alignment and freeplay needs to be inspected or adjusted. A visual inspection of the related parts on a lift would be in order first.

During the process of modifying my swingarm for the 240 Tire i came up with this method of squaring up the wheel in the swing arm on a repeat basis. It's a 4" Starrette square very repeatable and accurrate being used as a depth gauge or story stick.

quote:

Originally posted by mctree

Look real close at the pulleys. The belt will creak and squeek when the pulleys are worn out.

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH

During the process of modifying my swingarm for the 240 Tire i came up with this method of squaring up the wheel in the swing arm on a repeat basis. It's a 4" Starrette square very repeatable and accurrate being used as a depth gauge or story stick.

I use the exact same method. Works great! My belt runs in the center of my pulley every time!
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion