New Akitadog Coil Relocation plate for Dyna Coils, VBAK - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Akitadog Coil Relocation plate for Dyna Coils, VBAK

At-a-boy Akitadog. Based on the mod crazy nature of the Warrior clan Akitadog saw a need to have a coil relocation plate specifically designed for the Dyna DC2-1 coils and Churchkey VBAK. He liked a mod I made to his original plate and asked if I wanted to be the guinea pig for a new plate and I couldnít pass up an opportunity to contribute. We tossed some ideas back and forth then set to prototyping. It only took 2 prototypes to get it nailed. Below are some of the improvements and considerations.

1) Obviously the plate is designed to fit the Dyna coils in an under mounted configuration with VBAK clearance.
2) The wire leads can be installed prior to mounting on the plate for an easier install.
3) There is a wide notch in the plate to support point number 2 which also allows for plenty of bolt and wire clearance.
4) You can actually bolt both sides of the coils to the plate.
5) The plate has a slash cut on one side to give the most possible air to the filters.
6) The sensor location has been re worked to allow for the least amount of wire harness intrusion during install.
7) The cutout for the sensor wires has been increased to prevent any grounding.
8) Because the coils are under mounted on the plate there is plenty of clearance between the top of the coils and the bottom of the tank.
9) Because there is a larger area it is easier to mount all the parts to the plate.
10) No cutting, grinding, or filing, it just all fits.

I will post an installation how to with pictures as soon as I can write. Contact Akitadog if you are interested. The final prototype was installed yesterday so I donít when they will be fully available but he did say it was cool to let the cat out of the bag. If you have Dyna coils and Churchkey VBAK this plate is the way to go. I rode the bike to work today no issues. Everything fits snug, no rattles or noises. Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPlate.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	3566   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPlateMockUp.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	3567   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideBySide.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	3568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step8Finished.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	3569  
newwarorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dang...it's about time! I asked about that two years ago...nice work! I can remove my zip-tie from the frame mounted coil!
SuicideD_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's cool! Now where was this over the winter when I had to make my own from aluminum plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 07midnight57; 08-17-2011 at 05:09 PM.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Arg, I just did mine about 2 weeks ago, looks like I will bve ordering the new one so I can bolt my coils in instead of zip tie.
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to akitadog

Sorry guys it took so long.
I don't want to sound like I'm advertising just wanted to tell how this came about.

Lately I have been getting more and more inquiries about the Dyna coils and after discussing it with newwarorder I decided to take the plunge and work this out. He was great help in the development of this plate and I hope it will fulfill the needs of our Warrior Brethren.....
akitadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Looks awesome, great job.

I got a plate from Akita also (with an extra spare for safety), but it was custom designed as per my request without any holes on it. My Dyna coils are on the side, I used his plate to hold the Tricky compressor and the rest of components arranged in a different way. Make sure you get the thick plate, not the thin one (Akita knows what I mean). It is really worth the extra dollars and his plate work is top notch quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Night Demon -
Winner -

First
with the Demon - Another

Friends call me Floren, join the
group on Facebook
"If you are not sure, just open the throttle"
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

dyna coils are on my to do list. maybe you can work something out for people to trade in their old plate for a reduced cost on the new one? I foresee alot of the old coil plates going up for sale real soon when these are in production.
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just put up your plate for sale, there will be takers.

Night Demon -
Winner -

First
with the Demon - Another

Friends call me Floren, join the
group on Facebook
"If you are not sure, just open the throttle"
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm still pretty green and haven't started any mods yet but I do plan on getting the Churchkey VBAK and I also wanted the coil relocation plate. Will this also work with the stock coils or should I hold off to see if I get the Dyna coils?
evasicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wasn't really focusing on that. This was specifically designed for the Dyna coils and Churchkey VBAK. But I will take a look tonight and see. I never ran stock coils on a relocation plate so I need to check the mounting hole position.
newwarorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion