Manual Choke after LCV removal - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Manual Choke after LCV removal (final setup)

Well the weekend started ok, just doing some routine maintenance like oil change, airfilter clean and general check over. Then when I started the bike the same thing happened again as a few weeks ago. LCV got jammed on and no amount of reving it or tapping the little ******* would solve the problem. I have had an intemitant fault on it for awhile now and this time I just got the sh*ts. Planned on unplugging it as one of the boys down here suggested but made no difference so I removed it completely. Wasn't happy with having to hold the throttle while it goes through warmup so wired in a small electric solenoid valve to a switch so as to bleed air in on start up and then switch off once the revs come up. The valve is a little to small as it only allows 1cc @4psi flow and manages to raise the RPMs about 200rpm. A bigger valve would be better and then restrict the flow to acheive the correct rpms. But saying that it works ok and makes cold starting a dream. The switch is lit so will remind me to deactivate it before taking off. I have only done a rough install presently but will post some photos in the next few days after testing. Hope this is of interest for you guys that have removed your LCV's and get sick of waiting for it to idle.

Heff

Last edited by heff; 10-07-2011 at 02:00 AM.
heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very creative.......I removed mine and our weather is moderate so it is usually no problem.

If it becomes one, sounds like a good way to manage.

Please do post pics and PN's.....good on ya!!!

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez) www.rswarriordocs.com

Proper way to check oil level https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=60&tid=8
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I also removed mine earlier this year, but have yet to go thru a winter yet. I'm very interested to see this mod.
mattbowdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Very interesting. Good job.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting, I bought a Roadstar choke cable to do much the same thing manually But haven't installed it yet (lazy) Do you have any pic's?
rxape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is a cool idea, you are a pioneer! I'm also real interested in pics of what you end up using long-term (bigger valve etc) including your switch solution, and maybe part numbers for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heff View Post
Well the weekend started ok, just doing some routine maintenance like oil change, airfilter clean and general check over. Then when I started the bike the same thing happened again as a few weeks ago. LCV got jammed on and no amount of reving it or tapping the little ******* would solve the problem. I have had an intemitant fault on it for awhile now and this time I just got the sh*ts. Planned on unplugging it as one of the boys down here suggested but made no difference so I removed it completely. Wasn't happy with having to hold the throttle while it goes through warmup so wired in a small electric solenoid valve to a switch so as to bleed air in on start up and then switch off once the revs come up. The valve is a little to small as it only allows 1cc @4psi flow and manages to raise the RPMs about 200rpm. A bigger valve would be better and then restrict the flow to acheive the correct rpms. But saying that it works ok and makes cold starting a dream. The switch is lit so will remind me to deactivate it before taking off. I have only done a rough install presently but will post some photos in the next few days after testing. Hope this is of interest for you guys that have removed your LCV's and get sick of waiting for it to idle.

Heff
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Caledonian Warrior

Forgot what I was gonna say hef ??? I just looked at your avatar....doh

yes, great idea.

Gav.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Uh, how cold are we talking about here that it won't idle on its own? I've never had a problem down to 55 degrees. Twist throttle slightly, start bike, hold for 5-10 seconds and walk away while I put on gear, return to ride warm bike. Never have had a problem in two years of doing it this way.

Regardless, I am interested to see some pics of what you came up with. It is a pretty cool thought to come up with for sure.

I am still a brother and helpful!! Warrior Brothers World Map
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to jarv

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
Very creative.......I removed mine and our weather is moderate so it is usually no problem.

If it becomes one, sounds like a good way to manage.

Please do post pics and PN's.....good on ya!!!
Same here - with no LCV I've NEVER had a problem with starting cold - but am curious to see how this works.

jarv's gallery

. Like a coiled spring ... about to corrode

" The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for "
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

+1 good idea.
G
1256day is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion