Headlight and ignition problem - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to matt_76 Send a message via Skype™ to matt_76
Default Headlight and ignition problem

After wiring the bars internally I stuffed up some cabling which resulted in a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse, fixed cable issue but I have 2 problems now:
1. no headlight, nothing on the green or yellow, blue wire has 12V
2. no ignition. fuel pump works after turning the key, all light come on, all normal behaviour except it won't turn, like the kill switch was on, but I checked it for shorts and it's fine.
Any ideas?

thanks.
BTW, checked all fuses, no problems there.

matt_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hi Matt.

The headlight won't illuminate until after the motor starts, its on a delay-relay.

You mentioned the blue wire has 12v but I sorta think you were talking about the sky-blue front-running-light wire inside the headlight bucket near the green and yellow headlight wires.

There is a separate wire that happens to be the same solid sky-blue color running from the underseat starter relay to the starting circuit cut-off relay. It becomes blue wire with white stripe after that, and it runs to the handlebar starter pushbutton. You might test the wire at the pushbutton for power when the key is on. Also test for power after the pushbutton on the black wire with green stripe when the momenatry pushbutton is pressed.

Just a note:
- the kick stand switch keeps it from starting unless its in neutral.
- the neutral switch keeps it from starting in-gear unless the clutch lever is pulled.
- the clutch lever switch will allow it to start if the transmission is in neutral.
Since its possibly related to internally wired bar, maybe double check the clutch lever switch.

That's all I can think of . . . hope it helps, or at least heads you in the right direction.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks arizonawarrior, I checked the push button, works fine, I checked the clutch sensor, works fine, you are correct I was talking about the blue/white running lights cable. I forgot hat the headlight needs the engine running.

The indicators work fine, rear harness is ok, brake light is fine, horn works. I tested all cables in the bars and they are fine, so now the "only" problem is that it won't start, I tried with the kickstand up, down, clutch in , out, in neutral, in gear, flicked the cut off switch on and off several times, nothing.

Is there a separate fuse for the ignition that I'm missing?
Schematic says it's the 10A one, i think third or second from the top, and it looks ok, I even replaced it with a spare and still nothing. It really starts to piss me off.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have power coming into and out of the starter relay? Does it click at all when you push the button?
punk rock zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Generally, when something does not work after internally wiring the bars, the problem is somewhere in that wiring. I would check the fuses again, but with a meter, not just by looking at them. It is possible for a bad fuse to look good. The only way to be 100% sure is by checking with a meter. Check them all just to be sure. I am looking at a diagram that says the ignition fuse is the third up from the bottom which would make it the fourth down from the top.
Check the terminals on the battery to make sure the connections are clean and tight. Then check the cables on the starter. If everything checks out then go back into the wiring in the bars and be very thorough. Maybe even have a friend come over and double check. A fresh set of eyes will sometimes catch what you would overlook simply because you are so familiar with it all.

My life is based on a true story.

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, thanks guys, I will test everything again today with a meter and then let you know what I find.
Question, do the bars have to be plugged in for the bike to start (left controls) I'm thinking I will short the kill switch at the connector that is in the headlight housing and get two cables to temporarily short the ignition button to simulate it. That would eliminate any problems in the bar wiring, but I'm not sure if the ECU will let the bike start without the left hand side plugged in.

I did have it running after I wired the bars a few days ago, but messed with the headlight/indicators connections and that's when I blew one fuse, or at least I thought it was just that one fuse, the 10A one, but replacing it didn't help. OK, I'll do more tests today and keep you posted.

Oh joys of weekends :-)
thanks

Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk rock zombie View Post
Do you have power coming into and out of the starter relay? Does it click at all when you push the button?
which one is it? where should I measure it?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, checked all the fuses with a meter again, all are good, including both 30A on a side and a ECU fuse.

the black connector that comes from the RHS of the bars on key off is dead, on key on the following cables have 12V:

1.RED/WHITE with goldfish greenish ring every inch or so so let's call it RED/WHITE/GOLD

2.BROWN/Gold (and YELLOW/gold if I press the brake handle)

3. BLACK/RED/gold (that depends on the kill switch if it's on or off)

and that's it, the BLUE/WHITE/gold has no power to it, neither has BLACK but thats understandable.

what do I do next?
Can I manually put 12V on to the starter motor to check if it's ok? What cable is it?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Get the free e-copy of the service manual so we can be 'on the same page' .

Manuals - 2002 Service Manual with 2003 and 2006 Supplements (25.29mb): http://www.robriguez.com/motorcycle/...ual-WO3646.pdf
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hang on, your post just appeared . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion