Left side engine bracket - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

WTF! I knew I should have taken the tank off and had a better look. I would have seen that clearly. I was rushing and obviously not thinking at all!

Man that was stupid! Now I have to weld it back on. MF'r! I gotta go walk this one off.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

MEMBER MAP
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

You probably should bolt everything back up like it goes then tack weld it in several places so it does not move or warp out of shape when you take it off of the bike to weld it up. Make sure you put your ground right on the mount as close to the weld as you can when tacking it up. Disconnect your battery and unplug your ECU first thing before tack welding. Now before you do all of these things ask someone that knows for sure if you do all of these things that it will not fry anything electrical when welding on your bike.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Someone would probably give you one if you asked. -Anybody that has done a left side clean-up has their old one laying around...
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2 View Post
Yup. You cut the most important part off. The part that goes to the upper frame rail.

This is how I shaved mine
Did your shaved version end up giving you enough of the structural support you need? I would like to follow your lead here.

MEMBER MAP
Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

What was the point in even shaving the bracket if you're still using the stock drybreak? Should of just left it bolted on instead of ziptieing it. most people relocate the fpr and replace the drybreak before shaving the mount.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

It does kind of stick out, doesn't it Tom?
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
It does kind of stick out, doesn't it Tom?
Does the stock drybreak really tuck in any once you unbolt it? It's been awhile since I had a stock drybreak.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
You probably should bolt everything back up like it goes then tack weld it in several places so it does not move or warp out of shape when you take it off of the bike to weld it up. Make sure you put your ground right on the mount as close to the weld as you can when tacking it up. Disconnect your battery and unplug your ECU first thing before tack welding. Now before you do all of these things ask someone that knows for sure if you do all of these things that it will not fry anything electrical when welding on your bike.
This is what I started to do. I have the bike torn down and the parts bolted up to tack tomorrow. I've tacked things up before without disconnecting anything with no problems yet. But I seem to be on a roll getting myself in trouble lately. I will take the precautions you recommend and not press my luck. I guess disconnecting my ECU will isolate my PCIII as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

MEMBER MAP
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtom421 View Post
What was the point in even shaving the bracket if you're still using the stock drybreak? Should of just left it bolted on instead of ziptieing it. most people relocate the fpr and replace the drybreak before shaving the mount.
I do plan on relocating the FPR and installing a new drybreak. I've seen the nice work you guys have done.

The only reason why I zip tied it up after the VBAK install was so I could keep riding it between mods and improvements.

I'm not embarrassed about riding a work in progress. I love riding too much. I feel more like a fool for riding without the bracket for as long as I did - and then chopping the sh!t out of it to boot.

MEMBER MAP
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have a bracket I could send you if you want to start over. Ct to NJ would only take a couple days to ship to you. The drybreak tab has already been cut off it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-04_15-27-23_90.jpg (243.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by madtom421; 05-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion