Serious fuse prob...... - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Serious fuse prob......

Ok gentlemen, here's a serious prob. I'm blowing my signal/brake light fuse at 2500 rpm???? I've unplugged the rear lights, still the same, unplugged the tach, same, I've chk'd both handlebar switch boxes and fixed all questionable wiring front to rear, (before I isolated to 2500 rpm), still pops at 2500, if I walk it up really slow, it will go to 2800. This is with bike sitting on kickstand, not riding, touching nothing but right grip. I spent from 2 1/2-3 hrs today running down everything I could think of...... No luck..... Now for all the more knowledgeable members....... please offer your ideas. I also removed all brake switches, as when I searched seems that was a remote possibility, still pops.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The bike was in neutral on the kickstand and the neutral light was illuminated?
Did you try the same test in gear while holding the clutch lever in and revving?
Also, does it happen when riding in normal gear with the clutch lever out?

Sorry, just wondering if its coincidence or if its a clue.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes it was in neutr; with neutral light illuminated. I have disconnected all pswitches and still pops. It also happens riding, same rpm. But I didn't try on kickstand in gear. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. I just knew it was rear wiring, took me over an hr to try it sitting, in neatral. Kept repairing wiring and riding. I have dissasembled headlight to unhook tach and verify no wiring probs. I also thought might be vibration prob, but can't find anything that appears awry. Original pop happened about 100 miles into a ride, and then replaced and rode 50 miles, ok, then popped and now pops everytime it gets to 2500 rpm, riding or standing still. Never seen or heard of this one! If you stay below 2500rpm, will be good forever!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stock lights or not? Just checking did you check ground wire tightness at oil filler area?

The DarkMidKnightWarrior

Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread

Annual Toast #3
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well, next you might test your magneto/generator stator coil resistance (Page 7-37) and if its okay then take the steps to rule out the voltage regulator. It might be pumping out too much juice. There's a spec for juice at warm idle but I forget what it is. At 5,000 rpm its something like 14v/31a. Dunno what it pumps at 2500 rpm but its maybe close to the same. The lighting circuit fuse is only 10-amps and its a heavily-loaded circuit so maybe that in combination with too much power getting thru the regulator/rectifier is popping that fuse simply because its the one running at closest to its max? I can't think of anything else that would be rpm-dependent and you seem to have looked at everything else including the kitchen sink.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-02-2012 at 06:40 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smartypants! I thought about that too but didn't know the possibility of the juice Increasing with age on part.

The DarkMidKnightWarrior

Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread

Annual Toast #3
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure about the mag, and now that you have pointed me in the (hopefully) LOL, right direction, we'll get to checking. We are right in the middle of lonestar rally in Galveston this weekend. So it appears we will put him in the middle of the pack for the ride down this morning. My first ride with all 3 of my boys. Also thanks to everyone else for helping. And if you have other suggestions, please offer them. Also, forgot, this is an 04. Forgot o thank you for page reference, have it printed and ready to start checking.
Also, the lights in rear are x-blaster brake/turn but it is unplugged and still fuse pops. All grounds are secure.

Last edited by the_grider; 11-02-2012 at 08:14 AM.
the_grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Duane ... my .02 & opinion follows:
You have an intermittent dead short in the Signal circuit that is taking out the 10A fuse.

The short appears at a certain frequency and will need to be identified by isolating the various branches of this circuit. This might require some labor intensive trouble shooting.

One logical explanation why it appears at the higher rpm would be because of the slightly increased voltage enabling the marginal short to the chassis. This is not a charging issue so don't waste your time.

For starters i would isolate/disconnect all the harness connectors on your '04' that are part of the Signal Fuse circuit. There are (8) connectors if i'm not mistaken. You won't be able to disconnect the Red 6-pin connector RH switch box housing but you could extract the Brown wire in the Headlight housing to rule out short in handlebar if internal wiring. The horn harnesses could also be an issue. I doubt the Denso flasher is an issue but you never know. Also would inspect very carefully where the wires run around the tach/speedo cable guides for pinching. Disconnect speedo & Tach too. Also check rear brake light harness

Good Luck

Last edited by alanh; 11-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Alan! I don't have access to the bike, about an hr away, so It will be awhile before we can check. What you recommend is what I was going to try next, but I needed a little push! The rectifier was not the prob, so I now have a spare! LOL and of course bars are internally wired.. I had already removed tail lights from equation and disc horns, but not horn harness. I will update when I find it! Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well.... My son brought her down yesterday morning, and we started checking at about 9:15. we disconnected "Everything" on the bike, under the seat, in the headlight and opened up all the wiring covers(sheaths) all appears good, but still blowing fuses at 2500 rpm. Sooooooo we started upping fuse amps. Popped fuses all the way to 25. I know, not a smart thing to do, but this it getting crazy. The 30 amp fuse held, and no smoke. I'm going tho figure this is a surge of some kind, and then drops or we WOULD have found our culprit. We took a ride, and made it about 30 miles before that fuse popped. He had to get back home, so we will continue this saga at a later date. Alan, I can't figure this one out........
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion