Cobra fi2000? - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have been meaning to do it. Havent done it yet.
Was wondering if it's possible to refit the stock chrome ais intake back on once it's been blocked.
I know most people hate it but I dont mind how it looks.
BrutalPancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

also, if I do the ais block-off and at any stage I need to refit the stock exhaust (for australian license transfer roadworthy if I ever sell it, Will it then still run ok?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalPancho View Post
also, if I do the ais block-off and at any stage I need to refit the stock exhaust (for australian license transfer roadworthy if I ever sell it, Will it then still run ok?
Yup, I ran mine for quite a while before getting a aftermarket exhaust. As far as the left side cover just put it back on after the block off is done. I'm with you , I kind of like the look of the covers so I left mine on both sides after the Ais blockoff and BAK.
bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

cool
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Also check with some of your fellow Aussies to be sure what tests your government folks put MC's to. If any.

Quote:
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

As far as I know they don't do emissions tests - just DECIBELS (which hurts more)!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The manufacturer's decibel test is organized in a specific set of steps and there are specific distances involved when placing the decibel meter AND certain rpm test points. The test stayed the same for a long time but I heard the USA test changed a couple years ago. If it did change I wonder how that might affect other countries. Its all getting so complicated.

In the USA (which was usually the toughest standard worldwide) I heard now the test equipment is further away from the exhaust and the motor is revved to a lower rpm (meaning in combination that the exhaust can be louder). I also heard there is some 'allowance' for an exhaust to get a little louder because the test is done at time of manufacture and most exhausts get a bit louder over time. For that reason, exhausts that test 'some percentage' above the max decibels allowed are still in compliance but not everyone got the memo (so some bikes get failed where others get passed with the same decibel result).

I don't know how things work there so this might have no effect on you at all. I was looking into this last year but it fell thru the cracks, too much happening and too many days of sunshine! Anyway I haven't been able to find anything on-line so dunno but it makes sense in some aspects.

But in any event it sounds like the AIS being removed won't matter since they only check noise.

Quote:
As far as I know they don't do emissions tests - just DECIBELS (which hurts more)!

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-26-2012 at 04:52 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Well, at the end of the day - loud pipes save lives (and sound pretty sexy too) haha - As long as we keep a set of stock water heater handy its just a day's change-over hassle and a bit of a fine.
My sickle is probably 'ok' at low rpm, but when open its pretty over the top. but I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion