Sandy f...ed up my boy!!! - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sandy f...ed up my boy!!!

Hello everyone - just signed up and I see this is a great place for advice and info otherwise.
So here it goes....
I live in Jersey shore and we got the worst of Sandy (that biatch). Managed to get the cars out but my 2003 buddy went scuba diving. The water covered the tank for at last overnight. I had the battery out and away on a tender so there were no shorts I suspect during the flood.

I washed the bike 2 days after to get the salt off and let it dry well. There are no signs of corrosion anywhere other than what I can remember from before the storm. Connected the battery and the speedometer and all LEDs lit up fine and normal. All break lights, horn and so on seem to work ok.

Went to start it and I got the funny buzz from the starter fuse box under the seat. When tried again, the (+) terminal in battery started heating up (smoked) so I stopped playing. Checked all fuses and they are good. ECU packet seems sealed and ok from outside - don't know if the water got in from the wire connectors but I guess the gauges wouldn't work if that was the case?!?!
Next step was to try jump the start switch fuse box by shorting the (+) cables.... I heard the starter click but not turn. Every time I powered the jumper it would click but no turning, and if I maintained contact of power the jumper would get hot as if it's shorting (similar to battery terminal previously). Stopped that trial also before screwing anything up more than what it is.

So this is where I am - You think the starter is gone?
What do you guys suggest?
I'm a good driveway mechanic, but never worked on the bike... nevertheless I want my good ol' friend back and rumbling. Help me out to get it fixed...

Thank you and stay safe.
Dante
nj2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

It is good news the bike would not start. I don't know if you remember tropical storm Agnes, but she submerged my Chevy Nova SS. I had it towed to a garage they dismantled the car, seats, dash, door panels, exhaust system, everything. Hosed it down with fresh water, drained, flushed and changed ALL fluids. Removed the carb, cleaned it. Put it back together, with new filters, plugs, points, distributor,etc. and it fired right up. I never had any flood related trouble out of it since then. A lot of other guys I know, their cars were never right after that flood. So be sure to change all of your fluids, drain your pipes, clean your fuel injectors, replace all your filters before starting it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would say your starter may be toast. Also i would find all of the wire connections, in the head light and under the seat, don't forget the rectifier, unplug them and spray some sort of corrosion spray on there because over time they will probably fail. You might be able to take your starter off and disassemble it and clean it up real good, spray it with the anti-corrosion spray and get it to work again. Probably the faster you do this the better.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

i would say there is a good chance your motor is hydrolocked... meaning your cylinders are full of water. if it was submerged where the air filters were under water, it probably filled the airbox, and over time, through the throttle bodies and just packed the cylinders with water.

Pull the starter off, drain it, and get some wd40 going through it, and let it dry- it's probably full of water also.

Once you can get the starter to function pull your spark plugs and crank the bike over- just in case there is water in the cylinders.

While rebuilding/draining your starter, yank the drain plugs on the oil tank and bottom of motor and let that drain for a day its probably all milkshake brown and full of water also.

just take your time, and yes, change every fluid in the bike, they're all compromised now.
06 Midnight
Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks capt and gilly. I am going to change all fluids and filters... as far as starter - maybe a dumb question - but once removed can I connect 12v wires somehow to see if it turns (or doesn't).... I guess I'm asking if there's a way to test starter off the bike?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Steeda - salt water in the motor was my worst fear and was hoping not to hear that. I'll get on the starter this weekend and drain all I can. You guys think the motor is really compromised with water in it, even if I get it going at some point?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

First thing I would do is pull the plugs and see if it will turn over, also change oil. Water probably filled at least one cylinder and there is now way it will crank. Then go from there. If it was under water over night crankcase is probably full of water also. ( ok I typed to slow but you can check starter off the bike, jumpers black ground to starter case red to starter terminal should turn if good.)

Last edited by LASTCHANCE; 11-30-2012 at 10:52 AM.
LASTCHANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2003 View Post
Hey Steeda - salt water in the motor was my worst fear and was hoping not to hear that. I'll get on the starter this weekend and drain all I can. You guys think the motor is really compromised with water in it, even if I get it going at some point?

time is of the essence.... i know, with everything else you have to clean up/rebuild this is bad news...

Get it all drained asap...it will limit corrosion. WHEN you do get it running, plan on an oil change after the first ride... there may still be water in the crankcase. whatever you do don't let it sit like this too long...

and as others said, yeah the starter to a 12v source will test out of the bike.

Good Luck Sir!
06 Midnight
Steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeda View Post
i would say there is a good chance your motor is hydrolocked... meaning your cylinders are full of water. if it was submerged where the air filters were under water, it probably filled the airbox, and over time, through the throttle bodies and just packed the cylinders with water.

Pull the starter off, drain it, and get some wd40 going through it, and let it dry- it's probably full of water also.

Once you can get the starter to function pull your spark plugs and crank the bike over- just in case there is water in the cylinders.

While rebuilding/draining your starter, yank the drain plugs on the oil tank and bottom of motor and let that drain for a day its probably all milkshake brown and full of water also.

just take your time, and yes, change every fluid in the bike, they're all compromised now.
+1, pull the plugs and crank it over and see if water comes out, it probably will, spray some oil down the spark plug holes and continue to crank. I like an aerosol fogging oil to spray down in there, yamaha makes a good one. motor shouldn't be trashed as long as you take care of it asap.
"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"

I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Outboard motors occasionally get dropped overboard, they get pulled up and cleaned up and are running again. Like the other guys said, time is of the essence. Salt water is the worst enemy steel has ever met, get all salt water out of everything, and flush with fresh water. When dry, spray everything with WD-40. It will run again, for how long depends on how well you get the salt out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion