Bike won't start - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeOlmt

With a new battery and a new starter relay.....

Sounds like either the the starter cable is going bad or getting corroded along it's length...

OR..

The connections for the relay where it plugs in might be corroded and in need of cleaning?

Check the connections for the relay first. If they are green or fuzzy.. clean them by removing each metal plug from the connector and cleaning it with a small wire brush and maybe some baking soda water (like battery terminals). Do ONE-AT-A-TIME so you don't confuse their location. Use Di-Electric grease on clean contacts when re-assembling.

If cleaning contacts still doesn't work.. you may need new battery and or starter cables!? They do corrode along their length over time, especially if the contacts are corroded, it will travel along the length of the wire.

If you do need new cables, let me know. I can make you new ones. I did it for another forum member and myself.

Good luck!!!
MikeOlmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmamos View Post
So I went out to start up the bike this morning and having issues. Keep in mind it's a brand new battery and relay. It's about 26 degrees out right now and I'm having problems getting it to turn over, just like I was before I bought new battery etc. Starter tries, and a few times the bike will give a few weak rumbles like its trying to start, but then doesn't. Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Brand new battery

stevenmamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'll take the omission to mean there are no error codes on the gauge or in history and all fuses and etc are correct. I also thought JBat's suggestion to test for parasitic draw had value. Sorry I cannot make further suggestions.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sorry, didn't get a chance to check for error codes today since we were visiting family for Christmas. I will check tomorrow and post my findings.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

So I held both the select and reset buttons on the bike while I turned on the key. When "DIAG" popped up, I release the buttons, and then nothing came on the screen. Is it safe to assume there are no error codes, or did I do this process wrong?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #26 (permalink)

if you start it with a charger or jumper cables from a car {not running}, then you could check the voltage at the battery to see if it's charging. you can buy a voltage meter cheap. also, maybe it's just too cold for your battery. my "batteries plus" battery would NO WAY start my bike at 26 degrees. i don't know how to get the codes. if you don't have a manual you can get one from the forum someplace or look up leaderdeuce. it's in his signature.
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

The codes are in my blog

Sent from my DROID RAZR
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmamos View Post
So I held both the select and reset buttons on the bike while I turned on the key. When "DIAG" popped up, I release the buttons, and then nothing came on the screen. Is it safe to assume there are no error codes, or did I do this process wrong?

Once you get into diag mode let off of the buttons then press both again for 2 seconds till the code numbers are there, then you have to scroll through the codes with the buttons till you get to 61, that shows what codes you have and code 62 will clear the codes by turning the kill switch on and off. Click on the 11 in LeaderDuece's blog for the directions.

Last edited by gilly; 12-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

Got the "DIAG" to pop up again and tried using the buttons to toggle through any error codes, but it never showed anything...just a blank screen.

Wasn't able to find your blog page. :/ How do I get to that?

Also, going to borrow a meter from a friend tomorrow to see if there's a draw on it.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

I thought you might have a battery problem, till i re-read your post. So forget that.

Last edited by gilly; 12-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion