Bike won't start - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bike won't start

My batter has slowly been dying so I ordered a replacement last week. I continued to ride the bike until the new battery came in, until one day it wouldn't start. All the lights would come on and fuel pump would kick in strong, when when trying to start, you'd hear a "click" from under the seat.

Battery came in today and just replaced it but still having the same issue. I've taken a picture of what is "clicking." I checked both fuses on the sides of it and they look fine. Help please!ImageUploadedByMO Free1355543381.453448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
stevenmamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

That would be your starter relay. They are about $70 from Yamaha. Some people have tried the cheap ones you can get on ebay and have not had much luck. Mine is also on its way out but is hangin in there for now. New one is on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"

I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

So it's the starter relay, NOT the starter?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Correct, the relay transfers the power from the battery to the starter. You can check at the starter and see if it is getting power when the starter button is pressed but most likely your relay is not transferring the juice.

"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"

I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just use a tester light and touch to the cable connecting to the starter and see if it's getting power when start button is pressed?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Exactly, just touch the lug on the starter where the cable connects with you test lit and give the button a push. If its weak light or no light you aren't getting full voltage. A volt meter is best as it will tell you what actual voltage you are getting at the starter, because if the relay is transferring some power but not enough you may get a test light to light up weakly.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

By the way, what year is your bike? Looks like you may have some corrosion on the bracket for your relay there. If any of that corrosion is on the inside of the relay that is definitely the culprit

Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

It's a 2002. Getting ready to head back to the garage and work on it. I'll let you know what I find with voltage and corrosion.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Think Jbat hit on the head but...............

Since you are going to be checking the starter, check the cable itself. We have seen loose cables going to the starter. Tighten it up if necessary (careful, this nut CAN be OVERTIGHTENED)....check for corrosion at the cable connections. Good place for Dielectric Grease.

Also check your connections at the rectifier, if they are loose, battery won't charge....another place for dielectric grease.....lol

Like Jbat said, meter is best, once engine is running, you should see ~13.5-14.2vdc at the battery post and will be less when you turn off the engine.....if so, charging system is in good shape for your new battery.

CRC Dielectric Grease, 16 oz, Net 10 oz. - Greases - 2F136|03082 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez) www.rswarriordocs.com

Proper way to check oil level https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=60&tid=8
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

All I had was a tester light, and even with that I was getting 0 light from it. Took out the starter relay and there was some slight corrosion. Cleaned up up and put it back on but still no luck. Ordered the relay from powersportsplus for $55. Hopefully this fixes the problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion