R1 fork swap question? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default R1 fork swap question?

Hello

Im interested in doing a R1 front fork swap on my 02 warrior. My question is what rotors will work with the three spoke wheels? Or will I have to switch to 5 spoke wheels? I found a complete front end from a 06 r1 with calipers and controls for $400.
TOMAHWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

you will have to switch to 5 spoke wheels to get the R1 rotors to bolt up. If you can find some 320mm rotors that will bolt to your 3 spoke wheels then they will work as well. The 5 spoke stock warrior wheel will work or you can run the R1 wheel, check eBay, the R1 wheels pop up frequently there. Also check the R1 forum. I had a wheel but just sold it on eBay last week. FYI The stock warrior rotors are 300mm, 04-06 R1 are 320mm but bolt only to 5 spoke wheels and 07+ R1 are 310mm that bolt to the 5 spoke wheel
"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"

I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jbat's the R1 conversion expert here so glad to see he jumped in.

Basically as far as years go, match years of R1 stuff to your year bike.... unless you want to start switching wheels.

The difference is in the calipers (which effects the rotor fitment). You have these calipers (so does the 02' R1)

This is the 06' Warrior/R1 caliper (radial mount)

My Pics ..... DIY Mods List ..... Popular Mods ..... KyleNV wide tire kits and more
wyomingwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anyone got a pic with the six-pot mono-block calipers mounted up?
rocketkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

yup
"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"

I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the info... Guess I'll have to start looking for a set of 5spoke wheels and pulley. If i switch to the 5spoke wheels and rotors will there be any problem with the rear caliper on my 02, or is spacing different?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

swapping rear wheels is a direct swap. Nothing to worry about.

My Pics ..... DIY Mods List ..... Popular Mods ..... KyleNV wide tire kits and more
wyomingwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

This combination was sorted on this forum shortly after the new style R1 forks were introduced 7-8 years ago.

You can use the 3 spoke front wheel, late R1 forks & 6 bolt 320mm FJR rotors.

If you want a 17" front wheel it is a good option, better tire selection. Rubber compounds from street to gumball for track use.

R1 forks + 17" front wheel will lower the front roughly 1 & 1/2 inch depending on tire height = great turn in. Have been using R1 forks + 17" front wheel about 10 years.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

1640 Riverside Drive
Hill Valley CA

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

woody_church@comcast.net

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/memb...cture19388.jpg

Last edited by Churchkey; 01-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks churchkey, I may go that route with the FJR rotors. As far as a 17" wheel, would a 02 r1 three spoke work? And what size tire would you recommend? I will be running a Metzeler me880 280/35/18 out back.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Correct me if I am wrong, but with a 280 out back I don't think you are going to see any advantage from the R1 front end.

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion