RS Warrior Forum banner

Bike will not start

931 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  greengiant 
#1 ·
My bike sat for about six months and now I can't get it started. New battery and fresh gas. If I spray starting fluid into the throttle body it will start and run until the fluid burns up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I had this problem with an old Yamaha XJ750. Basically, if untreated gas is left for a long enough time, the gas vapours off and you're left with just the residue and chemicals. These basically form a hard varnish inside the engine. On my XJ, any small little hole inside the carbs was plugged with varnish. I could get it running by spraying gas directly into the airbox.
I had removed and completely dismantled the carbs to clean them, but I just couldn't get anything inside those little holes to clean them out. If those holes are plugged, no gas gets into the carbs (I think, it's been a while).
Hopefully, the mechanical geniuses on here can help you with how to clean this up.
Good luck, and have fun getting greasy with your engine!

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with beeker on this as well. The ethanol fuel is some nasty stuff if let setting for some time. Best bet would be to thoroughly clean the throttle bodies and injectors. the injectors are gonna be the worst part of it. The engine might not be getting fuel if the injectors are clogged.

worst case, you clean the throttle bodies and get some good used injectors from a member on the board. Hey look, someone is selling some!

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/52-warrior-parts-accessories/236281-stock-fuel-injectors.html

#4 ·
Drain all the old gas out of the tank and the sub tank to start with. Fill with new gas and add Sea Foam to the gas. I think it is 1oz to a gallon of gas and try to get it going. If it is not to bad the new gas and Sea Foam will clean it up enough to maybe clear it all out after some riding time. If not then you will have to manually take the throttle bodies and injectors off and clean them.

#5 ·
Your fuel injectors might be clogged. Or the gas in the under-seat aux fuel tank is stale and the fresh gas remains in the top main fuel tank. Or the fuel pump fise is blown. Or . . . ah heck gotta know the first two answers before selecting the next question . . .

#7 ·
Thanks to all. I drained the sub tank and checked the fuel pump pressure and can eliminate those issues. It sounds like the consensus is clogged injectors. I will try the sea foam and if this does not work I will attempt to remove the throttle body and replace the injectors. You guys rock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.