help needed after ais block off, bak, and fuel programmer install - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help needed after ais block off, bak, and fuel programmer install

so I installed Baarons big air kit with ais block off plates. Followed all given directions (not very detailed) didnt look the best but its under the tank so not too worried about appearance. after install fired it up and test rode around the block with no issues.... Next up was the Cobra Powerpro black. Installed that without issues again fired up and test rode around the block no issues... Everything appeared to be working correctly noticed increase in throttle response and acceleration. Rode the bike all week to and from work about 60miles mostly freeway each day. Yesterday I stopped to fill up my tank and when I went to start it I heard what sounded like a misfire then smoke came from under the tank.... I was too panicked to distinguish burning oil from electrical fire so I have no idea whats going on. I pulled the tank and I'm not seeing any wire issues also no popped fuses.... Can anyone help me figure this out? My bike is my primary transportation and I could use some help. tried doing search but not finding anything that fits whats going on.
JamesmQuevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

Don't take my word as gold but it could possible just be a backfire. These things probably do this often but are covered up by all of the filters, canisters, etc so you don't hear or see them...I know one time when we were working on my sons bike it kicked-back so hard I thought it blew a rod or something. I think it got flooded and then miss-fired? Is it running today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rick Quest
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Having a backfire in the intake can happen when running lean, should not do smoke tho

Was there any debris on top of the engine?

If you can post pictures of the installation, maybe someone could see something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Snowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take a look at the plugs to make sure they are tight enough

-
Snowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboy View Post
Having a backfire in the intake can happen when running lean, should not do smoke tho

Was there any debris on top of the engine?

If you can post pictures of the installation, maybe someone could see something
currently unable to post pictures my computer is not working well at the moment....
I looked and didn't see any debris on the engine. not seeing any wire issues either but is it possible to be misfiring and burning some kind of oil? I want to try starting it without the tank on to see if I see anything happen but Im not sure if that will work and I dont want to make anything worse
JamesmQuevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had a similar condition happen on my bike but only when it's colder 40 ish and my battery has not been in the best of shape. After looking into it I decided it was a backfire in the exhaust that would travel into the cylinder during the decompression mode and then when the intake opened it would vent a small amount of pressure out and smoke would come out of the air filter along with the exhaust. I have a bak on my bike as well.
poschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

i do not have the ais blocked off on my warrior but did on the r* and would every now &then get backfire on starting with a puff coming though the big air kit. that being said the r* was carb not fi but it was jetted with ported intake tube 10.5:1 pistons pipes and pc
mkayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just a cough back through the throttle body. Check your plugs to see what color your plugs are.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

You could (can) start your bike with the tank off, just as an FYI. +1 on what Gilly said, happens to almost everyone at some time. a little unnerving, though. You should be fine (IMO) Welcome to the forum!
rumblemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion