Baron's Rear Brake Reservoir - Lessons learned - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Baron's Rear Brake Reservoir - Lessons learned

Installed this a couple of weeks ago. Install was pretty easy and I like the way it hides behind the pro-pipe. But in my installation the pro-pipe collector clamp fouls on the reservoir (you can see the little knick on back corner on mine). You could solve this a couple of ways. Grind the collector shield a bit to allow the clamp to swivel farther down (but thats going to make it tough to get a backing wrench on the bolt), or you can grind the clamp back to the nut and bolt. I've never been very impressed with the stock clamp so to solve this problem I ordered a Breeze Hi-Torque hose clamp from Napa. This is a wider and stronger hose clamp then the garden variety .50 hose clamp. The hi-torque version was about $2 bucks.http://www.breezeclamps.com/hitorque.htm With the pro-pipe you need to remove the exhaust to install anyway so plan on checking clearance. I don't think this will be an issue with the stock exhaust but then you are probably not relocating the reservoir if you have the stock pipe.

Disassembly is easy, and installation of the reservoir is pretty easy as well. The kit come with everything you need except brake fluid. One thing to be aware of is that the reservoir does not line up really well with the brake cylinder so rather than just cut off the hose short, remove the hose and use a section of the old hose with a molded in bend to make a better run.

Insert Image:

64.29*KB
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Baron's Rear Brake Reservoir - Lessons learned

Thanks I just bought my Barons kit on ebay and can't wait to get it installed to clean up the rear. Ebay $19.00

Thank you VETS for allowing all of us to MOD!!!
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's one of the first things that I put on. Looks way better. Except mine is old and has turned purple from the heat when I had the samsons on there.
ehacker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

i have samsons (street sweepers) on the way and would like to use Barons brake kit. Should i be concerned with the heat you mentioned? maybe make a heat shield?
671WARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by 671WARRIOR

i have samsons (street sweepers) on the way and would like to use Barons brake kit. Should i be concerned with the heat you mentioned? maybe make a heat shield?

No, it works fine its just discolored now. The only reason I can see the discoloration is because I switched pipes. look in my gallery and you'll see why it is noticeable now.
ehacker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

That looks great, and I'd love to do the same thing when I get around to putting a stainless line back there. Do the line lengths stay the same with this set-up (ie stock length)??? Or will I have to order custom length stainless lines??
ROTRHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

The length stays the same because the brake line to the caliper still runs from the brake cylinder to the caliper. The only hose that changes is the hose from the reservoir to the cylinder (the short one in the picture). I was confused about that too until I took it apart and saw where the hoses run.
ezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great... thanks, Eric. I wasn't sure anyone would understand what I was talking about, but you nailed it. I'll need a stainless line from reservoir to caliper and the rest of it is hidden. Appreciate your advice about the pre-bent short line. That will come in handy. I have a bunch of tubing laying around from all the crap I've taken off.
ROTRHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

does any one know the guy that has all the bikes and does his own mods. looking to get info
roadswear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories