crankcase vent after BAK - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default crankcase vent after BAK

Like many others, I decided to run the crankcase vent hose under the seat and back behind the brake resivoir relocation bracket. I didn't want to leave the hose open, and there wasn't enough room to put a filter on it. So, plan B...

Inside the the stock airbox is a plastic tube that's closed on one end. It had just the right bends in it. I yanked it out, cleaned it up with the dremmel, and drilled 3 rows of small holes in it. It doesn't restrict airflow but should keep the spiders from making themselves at home in the vent hose. You can't see it from the right side of the bike. Here it is:

http://www.greenapple.com/~sbertsch/bikes/Warrior/ventpipetube.jpg

-Steve
sbertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: crankcase vent after BAK

Most guys don't think about this but the vapor coming out of that vent contains oil. The vent should probably be relocated somewhere lower on your bike and preferably away from the rotor if you leave it open like you have. I generally relocate them to the left lower frame rail, behind the drive pulley case. It's a pain to snake through the underseat area but is well worth it and keeps it out of sight. The last one I relocated was on top of the rear rocker cover and it made a mess of the guys rear head and cylinder, and it had a filter attached.

I like the concept (and especially the crafty use of take off parts) but a filter will capture the oil better -if you leave it right there.
jpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, going to get messy. Plus it's too close to your rear break rotor. May effect your rear breaking.

Just wait for a hot day (don't know how hot it gets in OH) and running your Warrior hard, you'll see the mess it can make.
REDHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well now, I seem to have discovered something new. Since I have been running my breather out the rear fender & pointed at the rear rotor & have never experienced any oil blow by or residue on the back of the bike (it gets bounced off the rev limiter frequently) two things come to mind. Either my rings are seated really well or the krank vent is creating a negative pressure in the crankcase & eliminating blow by. I'll have to run it without the krank vent & see if anything comes out of the breather hose. That thing may be good for something other than making a lot of racket when the bike idles.

BTW: It gets hot in south Florida.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

1640 Riverside Drive
Hill Valley CA

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

woody_church@comcast.net

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/memb...cture19388.jpg
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Has anybody measured the flow rate that comes out of this vent?
I was wondering if a small fuel filter would do the job.
You could leave one end open to the enviroment and the oil that saturates the filter would be captured by the filters housing.
You could even fit a drain hose to it.
labonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Kazoo, are you out there???
Mine creates vapor and oil residue (no Krankvent), I just relocated Vikings and his rear rocker cover was "covered" with oil with it placed on top of the rear rocker as suggested by Barons. Yamaha and PR suggest relocation to the front cylinder. I once had mine there too and the front cylinder got residue on it.
A filter would help, after it gets saturated -just install a new one. I only posted to offer a concern, do whatever works for you.
jpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I follow Churchkey, since he is the one that suggested the Idea from his V-BAK. plus with my own version.
but instead of running to the side. I ran it right over the or by the battery and that foam between the fender and back of the batter case. the foam actually holds it in place and if there is any residue blowing by it goes to the center of the swing arm NOT the brake rotor. course Montana isn't hot yet, but I have yet to have any thing on my swing arm but road grime. just thought I would add my .02
MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

What I thought was a small oil leak on my '03 ended up being a small rip in the vent line just before the filter. It blew enough out to not only coat everything with residue but eventually even drip on the garage floor. I'd put a filter on it and keep it away from the rear tire and rotor.
Spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

OK with fear of being slammed I am still going to note what I did.

1. I took a hose and connected it straight from the LCV to the crank case nipple.
2. I cut 2 inches from the crank case nipple and installed a crank vent.
3. I found the center of the hose between the crank vent and LCV and cut again this time installing a brass T
4. On the open nipple of the T I installed one of those Auto Zone filters.

My method hushed both the LCV and crank vent. I have checked my plugs many times since I done this and have put almost 3000 miles on the bike with no visible signs of excessive oil being sucked into the engine, as a matter of fact I seen no signs of oil. I also have inspected the feed lines from the LCV to the throttle bodies and do not see any sign of oil build up there either.

I guess the filter is less restrictive than the long hose
BigBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

If there isn't any oil in the line then you should be fine. The crank case vent line blows off oil, while the LCV hose sucks in air- if nothing is getting sucked in you must be okay.
Spudly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories