RS Warrior Forum banner

AIS Speed* Cover Mod

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  duboisst 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to Wolfsong for being the pioneer on this one

Modified factory AIS bracket and new chopped Speed* base
[

View of the modified parts assembled to the bike and View of new cover from the rear
[

Assembled AIS Speed* cover now exposing the engine
[

See less See more
#8 ·
I was planning on doing the same mod. I just bought one off ebay and it has been sitting in the corner. Is the purpose of the black plastic part just to hide the oil lines?
I was also planning on changing the screen to a larger hole mesh like on my right side airscoop. Also, polish the screen border some w/ steel wool....

#10 ·
The piece that was cut-off covers the factory supplied AIS pump that is no longer on my bike and most others on this site
. It also has a 3rd mounting point that plugs into a rubber grommet that is part of the original AIS bracket.Stock AIS Bracket before mod

quote:Originally posted by mdfdwarrior

I was planning on doing the same mod. I just bought one off ebay and it has been sitting in the corner. Is the purpose of the black plastic part just to hide the oil lines?
I was also planning on changing the screen to a larger hole mesh like on my right side airscoop. Also, polish the screen border some w/ steel wool....

#12 ·
Alan, did you cut off the lower portion of the bracket(the one w/ the third mounting point)? Is there a thread/post w/ directions on how to do that?
TIA!

quote:Originally posted by AlanH

The piece that was cut-off covers the factory supplied AIS pump that is no longer on my bike and most others on this site [^] . It also has a 3rd mounting point that plugs into a rubber grommet that is part of the original AIS bracket.Stock AIS Bracket before mod

#14 ·
Stock AIS Bracket Mod for Speed* AIS Cover Chop

mdfdwarrior.... Does this help .... Look @ the left and look @ the right photo .... Get out your Dremel tool, put on your safety glasses, hat and apron and cover your bike up to protect it from the flying debris
and be sure to have 1/2 dozen cutting disc Spray paint with your favorite color
i choose flat black [
] [
] [
]

quote:

Originally posted by mdfdwarrior

Alan, did you cut off the lower portion of the bracket(the one w/ the third mounting point)? YUP! Is there a thread/post w/ directions on how to do that? There is now! [
]
TIA!
quote:

Originally posted by AlanH

The piece that was cut-off covers the factory supplied AIS pump that is no longer on my bike and most others on this site
. It also has a 3rd mounting point that plugs into a rubber grommet that is part of the original AIS bracket.

Stock AIS Bracket before mod
[

quote:

Originally posted by mdfdwarrior

#16 ·
My 1st attempt at cleaning up the left side before the VBAK:http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39963&SearchTerms=HD,horn,wing,cover
quote:Originally posted by gchalifo

Alan, I love your work. What about the clean look? is that something you have considered or prefer the scoops/covers?

#19 ·
WIKD....it's obvious when you see the assy. The chopped base follows the contour of the moulded base as well as the chrome AIS cover and looks finished [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
quote:Originally posted by WIKD

Nice job Alan. I do have one question though. Why did you cut it on an angle instead of just straight across? It looks good and I want to do mine now but at work so if the answer is obvious when you see the mount sorry for the question.

#20 ·
Alrighty then. So I am in the middle of doing this mod. I have the bracket off and as you can see in my pic I have the line etched to be cut. If I follow this line (which is the same line AlanH did), how in the world do I cut thru the metal? None of my dremel cutting discs would cut thru this... What should I use to cut thru this bracket?!?!
Insert Image:

59.01 KB

Also I found this end open with no hose or cap on it. Is this an issue/concern? Is this normal? What, if anything should be there?
Maybe I'm just tired.....

Insert Image:

62.31 KB

quote:Originally posted by AlanH

mdfdwarrior.... Does this help .... Look @ the left and look @ the right photo .... Get out your Dremel tool, put on your safety glasses, hat and apron and cover your bike up to protect it from the flying debris
and be sure to have 1/2 dozen cutting disc Spray paint with your favorite color
i choose flat black [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif] [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Alan, did you cut off the lower portion of the bracket(the one w/ the third mounting point)? YUP! Is there a thread/post w/ directions on how to do that? There is now! [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]
TIA!quote:Originally posted by AlanH

The piece that was cut-off covers the factory supplied AIS pump that is no longer on my bike and most others on this site [^] . It also has a 3rd mounting point that plugs into a rubber grommet that is part of the original AIS bracket.Stock AIS Bracket before mod
[]

#21 ·
ok 1.5 hrs later! I ended up using my jigsaw w/ a metal cutting blade. Note to self, cordless dremels are useless and should only be used for carving pumpkins! [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]

I'm going to buy myself a nice powerful corded dremel tomorrow - any recommendations?[}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Here is what it looks like after I finished cutting it and grinding down all the sharp edges...

Insert Image:

51.64 KB

all cut edges ground smooth so I don;t cut my fingers later on...
Insert Image:

45.48 KB

off to get wiped down w/ alcohol and prepped for painting....
Insert Image:

49.62 KB

painted metallic titanium cuz I'm OCD like that...
Insert Image:

61.91KB

here is the before and after
BEFORE:
Insert Image:

81.61KB

AFTER:
Insert Image:

90.31KB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.