RS Warrior Forum banner

Cut down and installed lower fork covers and more.

8K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  turbod ss 
#1 ·
Finally cut and installed fork cover on my 06. (Later model forks are shorter). Used a cut off wheel on a dremil after tapeing and using a large hose clamp for a guide to keep cut straight.
Also installed a 33th front pulley,Brakeaway cruise control,some chrome billet covers, radiused and polished the front pulley cover Bucky fabbed for me. The pictures are kinda fuzzy,haven't figured out my cheap camera yet. Got my MD Wright tail light mod comming in the mail ( the Clear Alternative light that I had dropped a row of led's, I will send it in for repair but wasn't that happy with the brightness. Anyway early spring is happening(in Cal anyway)

Insert Image:

89.81KB

Insert Image:

90.1KB and I'm done with anymore serious mods till next winter

See less See more
#34 ·
quote:Originally posted by Mr_Noize

Can you take some close up photo's of the forks?
Here you go, either I'm goin blind or this camera won't focus[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Insert Image:

76.9KB
Hey man, are your forkends and trees polished or chrome?

#8 ·
Could you provide some (more-)specific details on the fork covers? I've got a 2007 and want to do the same... but have heard both 3/4" and 1" cuts. What about the seals/"o-rings" too.

Any additional steps/tips would be appreciated - THANKS!!

quote:Originally posted by youngja

Finally cut and installed fork cover on my 06. (Later model forks are shorter). Used a cut off wheel on a dremil after tapeing and using a large hose clamp for a guide to keep cut straight.
Also installed a 33th front pulley,Brakeaway cruise control,some chrome billet covers, radiused and polished the front pulley cover Bucky fabbed for me. The pictures are kinda fuzzy,haven't figured out my cheap camera yet. Got my MD Wright tail light mod comming in the mail ( the Clear Alternative light that I had dropped a row of led's, I will send it in for repair but wasn't that happy with the brightness. Anyway early spring is happening(in Cal anyway)

Insert Image:

89.81 KB

Insert Image:

90.1 KB and I'm done with anymore serious mods till next winter

#9 ·
quote:Originally posted by ydoc

Could you provide some (more-)specific details on the fork covers? I've got a 2007 and want to do the same... but have heard both 3/4" and 1" cuts. What about the seals/"o-rings" too.

Any additional steps/tips would be appreciated - THANKS!!

Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's of the process but here's how I did it.
1. Taped up lower covers (masking,duct tape what ever) to protect the chrome while cutting.
2. put a large hoseclamp ( like 2" or larger)around the cover and measure down 3/4" from the top of the cover to the top of the hose clamp in several places. Then tighten the clamp and remeasure to make sure it's still excactly 3/4" from the top of the cover. (the top of the cover has a slight flare on the outside, make sure you are cutting the right end.)
3.Figure a way to secure the cover while you cut, I used a wood working table with soft clamps. I also hung the cutting end off the table to allow room to work and rotate. I used a dremil tool with a cut off disc. You just use the hose clamp as a guide as you slowly cut around, take your time it takes a fairly steady hand and a good view, be sure to wear a good pair of safety glasses or a clear face shield. It's not really that hard just be patient. I did have to move the hose clamp around to complete the full cut because the screw mechanism is a slightly larger diameter, just recheck that its even and retighten.
4.Dress up the cut area with a mill file,(be careful not to file outward and down against the chrome for fear of possibly flaking) I put a bevel on the inside with the dremil and then sprayed on some silver paint to help seal the aluminum/chrome edge.
5.I used the o-rings that came with covers on the bottom flange but ended up using silicone to seal the top of the lower cover. The bevel i put on the inside of the cut area wasn't deep enough for the supplied o-rings although you may be able to find a thinner one of the same diameter, but the silicone actually worked very well for me.
There may be other way's to do this but it worked for me...Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

#12 ·

quote:Originally posted by Mr_Noize

Can you take some close up photo's of the forks?
Here you go, either I'm goin blind or this camera won't focus[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Image Removed

Ok, I am looking to be able to see the chrome where you cut the covers and how they look at the triple tree. Can you tell that you cut the covers? So if you do not mind, a real close close up [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Good details

Thanks

#14 ·
Ok, I am looking to be able to see the chrome where you cut the covers and how they look at the triple tree. Can you tell that you cut the covers? So if you do not mind, a real close close up [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Good details

Thanks
Here you go.

Insert Image:

96.8KB

Insert Image:

92.49KB

#17 ·
quote:Originally posted by roadburner06

Looks good! Did your lower cowl come painted or did you do that yourself?
It came painted but it's the earlier model Imperial Red, They don't offer the later Dark Mettalic Red, it's fairly close but it ain't the same.[V]

Bucky I give a better explanation of how I cut them about halfway down page 1.

#21 ·
THANKS!!!!!!!!!! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]
Unfortunately I didn't take any photo's of the process but here's how I did it.
1. Taped up lower covers (masking,duct tape what ever) to protect the chrome while cutting.
2. put a large hoseclamp ( like 2" or larger)around the cover and measure down 3/4" from the top of the cover to the top of the hose clamp in several places. Then tighten the clamp and remeasure to make sure it's still excactly 3/4" from the top of the cover. (the top of the cover has a slight flare on the outside, make sure you are cutting the right end.)
3.Figure a way to secure the cover while you cut, I used a wood working table with soft clamps. I also hung the cutting end off the table to allow room to work and rotate. I used a dremil tool with a cut off disc. You just use the hose clamp as a guide as you slowly cut around, take your time it takes a fairly steady hand and a good view, be sure to wear a good pair of safety glasses or a clear face shield. It's not really that hard just be patient. I did have to move the hose clamp around to complete the full cut because the screw mechanism is a slightly larger diameter, just recheck that its even and retighten.
4.Dress up the cut area with a mill file,(be careful not to file outward and down against the chrome for fear of possibly flaking) I put a bevel on the inside with the dremil and then sprayed on some silver paint to help seal the aluminum/chrome edge.
5.I used the o-rings that came with covers on the bottom flange but ended up using silicone to seal the top of the lower cover. The bevel i put on the inside of the cut area wasn't deep enough for the supplied o-rings although you may be able to find a thinner one of the same diameter, but the silicone actually worked very well for me.
There may be other way's to do this but it worked for me...Good luck and feel free to contact me if I can answer any questions.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

#23 ·

(the top of the cover has a slight flare on the outside, make sure you are cutting the right end.)

Jim, your killing me my friend! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] I have the new chrome fork covers but yet to do this mod on my bike but and just a few steps behind you! I have to say, they sure look good on your bike!

One question on your quote above I looked at my lower fork tube and noticed that both ends are flaired! One is flaired longer down the tube then the other side though. I figured I need to cut the side with the shorter flair but wanted to just make sure. And If your wondering, those arent scratches. It the plastice stuff that the covers were wrapped in. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Insert Image:

96.91KB

By the way, I noticed that you changed your Muzzi pipes! Nice![/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

#26 ·
quote:Originally posted by kichigai

(the top of the cover has a slight flare on the outside, make sure you are cutting the right end.)

Jim, your killing me my friend! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] I have the new chrome fork covers but yet to do this mod on my bike but and just a few steps behind you! I have to say, they sure look good on your bike!

One question on your quote above I looked at my lower fork tube and noticed that both ends are flaired! One is flaired longer down the tube then the other side though. I figured I need to cut the side with the shorter flair but wanted to just make sure. And If your wondering, those arent scratches. It the plastice stuff that the covers were wrapped in. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Insert Image:

96.91 KB

By the way, I noticed that you changed your Muzzi pipes! Nice![/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

Kichiagi, Thanks for pointing out both ends are flaired, I kinda spaced that. It is the short flair that is on top and the one you cut off. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

I have to keep doing these mods to keep up with you.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] 06 Red is the fastest.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.