single side swing arm custom build - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default single side swing arm custom build

Thought I should move my post to the modifications forum since it has gone from idea to actual

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/129963.aspx

pic of the pivot tube and swing arm joint. Hold the comments on the welding, this is my first time ever welding.

pic of the adjustable wheel hub for tensioning the chain

THeBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: single side swing arm custom build

I cant hold my comments on welding, would rather you be safe. Grind them down some and insure that the welds made good penetration, dont go for the extra passes untill you are sure your root is good, then make either a cover pass or two passes but that should be enough. I think your doing great.
independent_lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice! Looks heavy duty enough!

Any pics with a wheel on, or on the bike?

I love DIY stuff!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

DEFINITION of MY DIY SSS(when I get to)

Work for the money MYSELF

Order the parts MYSELF

Find a reliable Mechanic to Do the work/ or Work with MYSELF!

I am ENVIOUS of you guys who have the equipment, parts, know how to do this stuff.

GOOD ON YA!
BJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree. I'm not knocking on your ability but I will tell you that their are quite a few inconsistency's in your weld. I'm not talkin trash about your welds because your taking on a big project for just learning...It does look like your heat may be a little high and your travelling a little fast...that's just me. I do think the safe thing to do is grind it down. I do think it's ok to mock it all up but I would certainly make sure that the root weld is good before using filler welds. JMO. Be safe and I like what your doing..looking forward to seeing all the pics!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Isnt it a good thing to grind the surfaces you are going to weld together down to 45degree angles to give it more of a contact patch?

I think I saw it on one of them Re-build shows.

Grind the Edges out to look likethis \ / when you put them together and weld away.
BJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJINFIDEL

Isnt it a good thing to grind the surfaces you are going to weld together down to 45degree angles to give it more of a contact patch?

I think I saw it on one of them Re-build shows.

Grind the Edges out to look likethis \ / when you put them together and weld away.

butt welding yes, but since he is having to go around it has a built in 45 with no good way to remove the material without losing the strength of the original material (thining)
independent_lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

All the weld areashave been ground down to Vs to a minimum of half way thru the material. I did grind down two of the welds and they had very good penetration but yes I think a little high on the heat but I am wellding 1/2 inch material in many of the areas. It is very stout. My buddy has done a lot of the more structural area welding for me but it is my project and my welder so a welding I will do. Learn on the fly. I have had to grind out several welds and redo them. They come out like *(&^ when you forget to turn on the gas. LOL.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

All the weld areashave been ground down to Vs to a minimum of half way thru the material. I did grind down two of the welds and they had very good penetration but yes I think a little high on the heat but I am wellding 1/2 inch material in many of the areas. It is very stout. My buddy has done a lot of the more structural area welding for me but it is my project and my welder so a welding I will do. Learn on the fly. I have had to grind out several welds and redo them. They come out like *(&^ when you forget to turn on the gas. LOL.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

how much do you think this thing weighs? i was wanting to go single sided for my 200mm tire but heard they are much heavier than a two sided.
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories