RS Warrior Forum banner

My version of SeifertR's front horn relocate...

14K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  tomba 
#1 ·
I really liked this horn relocate mod, & I thought I'd contribute with a step by step of how I did it...

Step #1, unplug the front horn & remove the two 8mm head retaining bolts.

Step #2, locate the two 5mm allen head bolts at the back of the starter bracket, & remove them.

The hardware I used, was bought at my local Ace Hardware & was roughly $10.

2 - 6mm x 1.0 chrome allen bolts approximately 2" long.

2 - 1/4" ID x 3/4" long chrome spacers

2 - 1/4" chrome flat washers (omit the 6mm flat washers, they were too small to use)

Step #3, I reindexed the horn's mounting bracket so the horn would point down when installed...I removed one of the horn's assembly screws & moved the bracket one space back - counterclockwise...Reinstall the assembly screw ahead of the bracket...

...like so.

Step #4, install the bolts, washers & spacers through the mounting holes of the horn bracket.

Step #5, install horn assembly into starter bracket bolt holes. Tighten to spec, & reroute the horn harness over to the left side of the engine. I simply ran it under the voltage regulator, securing it into the one ratcheting clamp directly below it. I then secured any loose harnesses with zip ties.

The end result is very clean & looks as if it belongs that way...Thank-you SeifertR for a great mod!!! :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice...

Remember, if you take the horn apart you can swing the connectors towards the bottom if it would look any beter...

All you have to do is remove the outside cirlce of bolts and spin the base to desired direction and put bolts back on again.

#8 ·
Truethinker said:
yamaweezle said:
Thanks guys...Now onto cleaning up the brake switch area.
I think there was a recent post about using hydraulic switch to replace the OEM one. I think that's the route I'm going to go along with doing the horn as it was done here. Nice write-up.
Here's my version inc the hydraulic brake switch.

#11 ·
What's the potential down-side of having both horns on the left side?

Its a great write-up and a nice looking mod. I hope you don't mind I added a link to your post in Popular Mods for the June update. Nice work, and sharp results. I hope the sound carries to the right side in the noise of high-speed traffic

#12 ·
an aftermarket exhaust on the right side should take care of that.

Arizona Warrior said:

Its a great write-up and a nice looking mod. I hope you don't mind I added a link to your post in Popular Mods for the June update. Nice work, and sharp results. I hope the sound carries to the right side in the noise of high-speed traffic

#13 ·
#14 ·
Arizona Warrior said:
I'm one step ahead of you...I've added a counterwieght to the right side to balance the bike back out, lol...No, I get what your saying, but ever since I installed the V&H Big Shots, the horns have been pretty much useless. I plan on upgrading in the future, but this mod will do for now...Thanks for all the kind words...

#16 ·
A nicely executed mod with excellent photos and documentation. A clever location and great idea go to the original Pioneer, SeifertR, and hats off to you for bringing it to the table using standard more available components such as the ¼” ID spacers in lieu of it’s metric counterpart and the use of std fasteners
.. i like it!

As far as the effectiveness of the new location, it certainly beats being installed behind the lower ABS chin cowl and there are lots of bikes on the road with only 1-horn mounted to the side.

NOTE:
If you like to tinker and you want some more bark out of the stock horn it’s adjustable
and if youexperiment byremoving the 2-factory anti-vibration rubber grommets & compression limiter bushings the bike should act as a tuning fork like used on the rear horn!

#23 ·
if you get tired of seeing it there you can relocate Into AIS cover. The sound comes out nice. It is even higher off the ground. It takes two bolt and I had to drill two holes. I bent the horn bracket 90* then unscrewed the horn from the bracket. Then rotated to face the front landed the holes on the inside of the pump bracket. Drilled two holes put bolts in then it was just a matter of getting the wires to it. They were long enough just had to seperate from the rectifier wires rewrap then reroute under tank. Need to get some pics up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.