RS Warrior Forum banner

My own twist to Jarv's right side brake tidy-up...

18K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  jimduncan 
#1 ·
Well, last year I relocated my RF horn to the back side of the starter, so I needed to decide what to do with the rest of the right side brake area (since the brake switch & pedal return spring were now more exposed). Why Yamaha couldn't make that area more appealing to the eye is beyond me. If you have exhaust pipes that don't run the contour of the lower frame tube, this may not be the mod for you...I came up with this last year, but wanted to put some road time on it to see if it was a viable alternative.

Starting out...here's the brake tidy.The usual...removed the brake switch, reshaped & painted the brake pedal bracket, ground the return spring tab off the brake pedal lever & polished it up.

I know it's a bit hard to see, but this is the new hydraulic brake switch mounted to the rear master cylinder...I spent the extra few bucks and got the 90 degree rubber boot to hide the wires a bit more (also for a bit of protection).

Now here's the twist...instead of fabbing-up a couple of tabs,trying to find the best way of mounting them with a spring in there somewhere, I came up with this...

I went to my local Ace Hardware & picked up a compression spring & stop collar. The stop collar is just big enough to fit over the brake pushrod & is held in place by a set screw - I believe it's a 9/16" stop collar. The spring is the same diameter as the inside edge of the master cylinder face (there's just enough edge there to hold the spring in place, & centered). To prevent the spring from moving around, I placed a section of clear rubber tubing on the brake pushrod.

To adjust the spring tension, I simply slid the stop collar rearward, comressed the spring a bit & tightened the set screw. A little trial & error to find the best tension took a couple of minutes, but the end result was nice.

The side view isn't too bad...Hope you like it!!! :)

See less See more
#7 ·
****, that is beautiful, both the idea and the final product! Are you going to be nice and post the web site and part numbers for the stainless pieces?

#13 ·
Yamatized said:
Pioneer of this mod? There are many of us who did this mod years before he even bought his bike. I guess this could be attributed to the poor functioning of the search feature of this site since the change.
Dan, yes, i remember BillH1943's Rear Brakelight Switch Move back in '03' as well as DesertWarrior's application of the Rear Master Cylinder Banjo bolt hydraulic pressure switch back in '04'.... I still have copies of those mods on my hard drive as well as your Brake Light Switch/ Return Spring Relocate which i've never done.

Matt ....It's nice to see some newideas. Excellent job and neat write-up with the detailed jpegphotos. On par withyour horn relocation OP from a while ago.

I likeyour use ofthe coil spring & set screw collar becausethere is no eccentric or sideloading to the master cyl piston/plunger & brake push rod ... just my thoughts and .02

#14 ·
Very nice mod. I did the Yamaweezle spring mod today,and you need a 9/16 ID stop collar.You will be lucky to find it.Most hardware places carry 1/2, 5/8, but no 9/16. I took the 1/2 and my dremmel,and made it fit.The spring was 3/4 ID.I slid a piece of water hose on the brake rod,painted it black, it just helps center the 3/4 spring. Simple,but one of the coolest mods i've done yet. I painted everything black because it is zink and will rust. Thanks.

#15 ·
AlanH said:
Matt ....It's nice to see some newideas. Excellent job and neat write-up with the detailed jpegphotos. On par withyour horn relocation OP from a while ago.

I likeyour use ofthe coil spring & set screw collar becausethere is no eccentric or sideloading to the master cyl piston/plunger & brake push rod ... just my thoughts and .02

and in my opinion, this is much simpler than drilling a hole in the frame and attaching the spring that way. Took me 5 minutes and $1.42 to get the spring and the clear tubing. I'll have to get the lock collar tomorrow as the ACE store in my tiny little town doesn't carry them anymore. That's fine, I found a black oxide coated one about 20 minutes away which has two set screws and will hit me a hard $3.00.

oh, and as for you guys doing the switch relocation back in '03 . . . . .Umm, I was in 10th
grade so I wouldn't exactly remember that particular mod thread. Come to think of it, I wasn't even old enough for a drivers permit at the time.
haha

#18 ·
Yamatized said:
Pioneer of this mod? There are many of us who did this mod years before he even bought his bike. I guess this could be attributed to the poor functioning of the search feature of this site since the change.
Hold on big man!

I never claimed to have "pioneered" this mod.

Perhaps YOU need to try using the search function too.

My thread clearly says "my version of the rear brake tidy"! ....January 12th 2007.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/28629/418326.aspx#418326

When you find it, try reading the opening paragraph.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I must say that it's nice the way that the long standing
members of the forum that have seen probably ALL of the various mods
"done to death" but are still accommodating and helpful to the newer
members that are working their way through the mods for the first (or
second) time. Thats what makes this forum great! Nuff said!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

#19 ·
Clearly you need to reread what I posted. I never said that you claimed to pioneer this mod. My comment was for the gentleman who posted that you did. Secondly I never commented on his searching ability, but on the reworked sites search function in comparison to the old site. Nuff said!

#20 ·
Yamatized said:
Clearly you need to reread what I posted. I never said that you claimed to pioneer this mod. My comment was for the gentleman who posted that you did. Secondly I never commented on his searching ability, but on the reworked sites search function in comparison to the old site. Nuff said!
Settle down guys...It was my bad. I reworded my statement to better suit the thread. I'm really glad you guys like the idea. Thanks again AlanH for the kind words

#22 ·
Yamatized said:
Clearly

Obviously.

#23 ·
This topic is a great example of something about this forum, and the best way to get the whole idea across is this.

Bunker http://rswarrior.com/photos/bunker/default.aspx pioneered this Warrior mod http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/27295.aspx. On his website Billh1943 still keeps http://19billh43.tripod.com/id52.html where he refers to a pioneering member and based on post dates I've always guessed Bill successfully followed Bunker's excellent how-to info and pics.

Later, DesertWarrior posted http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/19800.aspx asking a question in preparation, then after some time he posted he had done the mod http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/23045/347190.aspx#347190 but I couldn't locate his how-to or pics so I guessed back then that he had followed either Bunker or BillH1943's posts, because I would have had I done this mod back then.

I think this is a great example of this forum's personality. BillH added his touch to Bunker's cool mod idea,
and I'm guessing DesertWarrior added something too. Since then Jarv and Yamaweezle have added their cool
how-to posts with their own pics, and both bring nice extra bits to the mod so you're both in good company!

I'm glad I haven't done this mod yet because now when I get to that point it'll be a more modern mod. A better mod.

Thanks for the progress Jarv and Yamaweezle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.