RS Warrior Forum banner

Underseat tidy

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jarv 
#1 ·
I needed to make a few changes to the electrics and the underseat area needed some TLC!

I had been thinking about fitting a power socket to allow mobile phone charging while on longer trips but I struggled to find a good place for it - and eventually gave it away.
I recently bought an inflatable air bed for camping and needed the power plug for the air pump - so - back to the drawing board!
I wanted to fit a relay to slow the LED turn signals to a regular speed, as I was not bothered about the auto cancel.
(I had the bike for 3 years before I even realised that it existed!)
I had a relay under the seat that corrected the COD and there just wasn't much room to spare. All these additional parts were taking up valuable space that I didn't really have to spare.
The first job was to relocate the rear brake reservoir to the area near the fuse box. I had previously had it behind the bigshots and it was pretty much inaccessable. Looked good... but.
This relocation mod has been done many times - and is easy enough to complete.
I drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the underseat plastic box and ran a "brake fluid friendly" hose down to the rear brake master cylinder. The reservoir is from a KX125 MX bike.
I made a small bracket that would mount the reservoir and the new flasher relay.
I sliced the plastic tray mount and pushed it through from the back.
It didn't need securing as there is hardly any weight in the parts.
The reservoir almost supports itself with the hose from below, so it was really just to stop it moving side to side.

I made the bracket "tab" so that it pushed into a mounting slot on the relay.
The relay is connected to the turn signal loom at the connector for the existing flasher relay which is almost directly below the new relay.
Thanks To Warrior-uk for showing me where to buy the relay.
Motorcycle Indicator Relay 1-30W
My LED flashers are no longer going ape!

Next job was to fit the power scket.
I bought a waterproof unit but couldn't get it to fit anywhere.
I mentioned it to Caledonian warrior - because I knew he had already done this particular mod.
He showed me a photograph of HIS method - and I blatently stole his idea! :D Thanks!
The wiring coming from under the tank was a bit of a mess.
To be honest, it had been like it since I had done the VBAK and pulled the main wiring loom and Power commander wiring into that particular position.
I tidied it up by gradually routing everything neatly and moving it all into the small area that has plastic upright dividers (obviously there for that very reason!).
This created enough space for the power socket to sit under the seat latch mechanism.
I just needed to make a suitable bracket.
I decided to mount it at an angle that would point the plug slightly away from the power commander and ECU.
I used a 2 pin male connector that fits the optimate charger lead.
I can plug the power socket in when needed - and there's no need for more wires to be connected to the battery terminals. It's busy enough under there already!
Hopefully a mobile phone charger plug will sit comfortably in the socket while riding. Either way - the air bed inflater works nicely!

The final task was to lose the COD relay and fit a small low wattage "dash" style light instead.
I junked my existing COD wires and ran a new blue wire from the blue light feed and a black from the earth wire at the connector block for the rear lights - which is located under the ECU.
I pushed the light into the "u" shape of the helmet strap bracket on the left side of the frame. It looked ok there!

I later removed the bracket - cut the side tab off and refitted it pointing forwards instead of upright.
This allowed the small light to fit in there pointing straight up with enough room to clear the seat.

Final position for the anti-COD light below.

So in conclusion - a few hours work with perhaps not a lot to show for it at a glance, but worthwhile work that has made the underseat area a nicer place to be!

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice location fo the power outlet. I would have to find someplace else though as that is where I have my Speed-o-Healer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.