HID Install - Page 11 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #101 (permalink)

I'm back on the road again after the past couple of weeks with unknown worries. I've removed the hardware for my HID light. I left the harness going into the light bucket in case I try it again with a different unit. I have posted pics of my set up in this thread a couple of times. The kit I bought had one connection to make to the motorcycle, & that gets plugged into the existing headlight, 3 prong plug. And that's it! Everything else plugged into their own various receptacles. My conclusion is I have a bad HID kit! So go back to about the third page of this thread, look for my post & the link to ebay, and don't buy that kit!
jimsnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #102 (permalink)

Have you contacted them about a replacement? When I told my seller I needed a new bulb, he sent me the bulb for the price of shipping.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #103 (permalink)

Well, I hacked into the low voltage control lines to extended them so I blew the warranty to bits anyway. I think I have been reading that most of the kits have come with 'ring lugs' to wire it up to the battery & such so if I look to do it again, I'm not going back to the one I bought. I think I'll wait for a while. Plus can you say why you went with 55W HID? When I was searching, I stopped at the first one that said "for Motorcycles", & the 35W unit was defaulted. I never looked to see if they had choices... I wish I would have now. Funny thing, that "hindsight"...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #104 (permalink)

Seems like that's what everybody recommended. I think I thought you needed 55w for high and low beam, and just 35w for low beam only. Sorry yours was junk, but at least you weren't in it for much.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #105 (permalink)

Yeah, maybe I'll pop for the one you bought, since I already have the light bulb with the reflector tip. Did you ever get the high beam, with the reflector bulb, to work close to what a stock pattern looks like? I might wait for an LED replacement light. I'd bet that there will be LED's out there some time in the near future that will replace a stock light, & use 1/4 of the power of even the HID's. It'll prolly cost the price of a new 250 Ninja... Looking at your photos I see two connections that that have "barrel" style connectors, which you changed to "spade" style. Where did those two wires get connected to?

Last edited by jimsnorton; 12-04-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #106 (permalink)

I plugged those into the stock headlight plug.

I haven't truly dialed in my high beam. It's better with the reflector that without, but I haven't played with the glass much since I got it installed. It's too cold at night
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #107 (permalink)

Unhappy

I hear that. It's pretty cool here at night as well. Not into the 30's yet. It'll get there soon enough.
So, now I don't have a clue about my HID. I definitely have a charging problem. I hope to take it to a local shop after work tomorrow & see if they will diagnose it for me. I need to ride!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #108 (permalink)

Yeah I saw that. So your HID may be fine. If not, you may just need a new component. I don't know which one though
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #109 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I repaired my charging issue, at least I'm pretty darn sure I did. (Regulator) I'll know after I get home from work. If my garage door opens for me, I'll be satisfied it's good to go. I think I'm going to look for another HID, one that's 55W, & give it another 'go'. I just want to be sure I get a bulb with the reflector. Onwards!
However, I gotta say with the level of light I experienced with the 35W set-up, I wonder what nearly twice the light will look like!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #110 (permalink)

I just found this HID replacement unit that includes it own reflector for H4 lights.

Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 2.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

Do you think this could be installed in our headlight?
mr_noize2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories