HID Install - Page 7 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #61 (permalink)

Default HID & LED Install

I just installed my new HID 10K and LED's last night. I managed to get everything inside the headlight (HID kit). It took an extra set of hands to keep everything either all the way in the back and around the sides (inside the headlight bucket) but it fit. I bought mine on e-bay for $79.00 free shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (94.9 KB, 47 views)
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #62 (permalink)

Default Hid cable extension

I ordered a cable extension, from these peeps. $5.99, + everything else $9.53 delivered. They have a large assortment of lighting options, LED & HID.

36" 3 ft HID Extension Wire For Ballast and Xenon Bulbs

I should have it by next week, if not sooner. Looks like it shipped from The City of Industry, CA. I hoped it was a USA place I purchased it from, so as to ensure expedient delivery. I hope to get everything installed except for the light itself this weekend. While playing with my light housing I discovered, 2 of 4 of the rubber grommets that "suspend" the reflector from the bezel are "shot" so I need to get some on order, if they are available... Interestingly enough, there are four grommets, but they are not the same. Two different thicknesses... FYI.
jimsnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #63 (permalink)

These people were fine to deal with...fair price, shipped USPS Priority so stuff arrived in a few days. I was happy to get everything including the ballast inside the headlight. 1. because I didn't order and extension and 2. because I didn't want to see any of the wires.
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #64 (permalink)

Default Headlight Grommets

Looks like ya' gotta buy the whole "headlight ring". $20.00 +, instead of a couple bucks for two grommets... Crap!

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/

After I looked up the part number for the grommets I need, I dropped the # into Yamaha Sports Plaza search & found them for $1.65, & a whopping $12.21 to ship them!!! Still CRAP! IMHO

Last edited by jimsnorton; 11-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #65 (permalink)

I'm truly impressed that you got all that stuff, ...stuffed into your headlight nacelle. Kudos.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #66 (permalink)

I'm amazed you got it all in there as well.

I'm a little worried about heat though. That ballast has cooling fins on it for a reason. I haven't run it and held a hand on it to see how hot it gets, but that bucket will only collect and reflect heat, not allow it to dissapate. You should check it a couple of times to make sure you're not melting any wiring.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #67 (permalink)

Thanks LD
I was concerned about the same thing.
In researching heat generated by this type of digital ballast I couldn't really find much other than it gets warm.
I kept thinking man if you can mount this with Velcro then it can't generate that much heat so I temporarily wired it up, turned the bike on and let it run for almost 2 hours. It was barely warm in my hand so I went ahead with the install. While I'm pleased with the look it still weighs on my mind.
On a nice warm day I'll take it out early in the morning for 4-5 hours then when I get home I'm going to open up the headlight and check innards. I'll let you know.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #68 (permalink)

Wow, that's good to know. Now I. Won't worry so much with it under my tank.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #69 (permalink)

I was just looking at the ballast & the "fins" look as much aesthetic as functional. If they were really trying to 'sink' a lot of heat they would be more extreme. As we know the "idea" behind a heat sink is to expose a lot of linear surface area to the air.
If it were a real heat producing item, I would hope that, included in ONE of these kits we are buying, the manufacturer would be doing a big CYA move and saying in large bold letters, that this thing needs air circulation to survive! Or words to that effect. Because of that, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd still be prudent & do the "test", i.e. checking it after running it for a while.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #70 (permalink)

My "ballast" extension will be at my house when I get home tonite. Prime time as we expect rain for the next couple of days. I'm totally amp-ed to get it installed. I'm in the process of looking for a good headlight for my bicycle right now too. LED, co$t anywhere from $9.00 to well over two hundred! Tons of choices...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories