HID Install - Page 9 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #81 (permalink)

I brought my screwdriver with me the other nite to adjust it, but when I got on the street, the lo beam was dead-on, so I just continued on my test drive & made the observations I've written about. I'm a little bummed about it.
jimsnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
Thanks man. Frankly I'm surprised more aren't doing this -although severa have and just never wrote it up...
Im getting ready to do mine...I just bought extra wire to solder on to extend the ballast under the tank.
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #83 (permalink)

I'll be honest - to me extending the two little wires that go to the relay is one thing, bit extending the ballast wires is another. If it was me I'd just get the extension for three bucks.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #84 (permalink)

Exclamation

I definitely would not try to extend the high tension wires! Once you break that insulation barrier you will open up a huge can of worms! Unless you have high voltage experience & understand "electrical fields" & how hi voltage, (23,000v) has an inherent ability to 'seek out the nearest ground', and that it will try to get there using any path that offers it a low resistance path. If you can't provide for that, then you are going to regret not buying the nice fully insulated extension wires, for not that much...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #85 (permalink)

Took your guys advise and ordered an extension. Thanks
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #86 (permalink)

Unhappy Bulb doesn't cut it

With the discovery made last week, I'm now looking for a Xenon H4 that actually works as a direct replacement! Without buying "one of each", I now have the problem of finding one forthright seller, who can vouch for their bulb, that it will actually work as a H4, hi & lo beam bulb. The one I bought does not! It switches when you tell it, but the HI beam doesn't focus where it needs to. With regard to my purchase & installation, post #34, this doesn't cut it! Lo beam works, but HI beam does not! I would not buy this kit...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #87 (permalink)

Do you think you can get what you want with the type of reflective bowl we have in the Warrior? It may not be possible, I don't know.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #88 (permalink)

I've been looking nearly all day. I have found some with cut-outs in the reflector assembly, maybe to squirt out a little more light?, I have found a couple that have a halogen bulb attached to the Xenon housing so you have HID lo beam & halogen hi beam. That seems like it's overkill, plus the base doesn't look compatible. This is going to take some effort. You would think that if a bulb was truly a replacement then it just ought to work properly. Maybe I'm asking too much?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #89 (permalink)

I went up into the 'hills' after it got dark & took a few pics. The hi beam is just so-so at best. The lo beam, I can live with. Even with the 'compression' when driving hard into some corners, it's not that bad. The hi beam, on the other hand only works in some situations but not in most. The 1st two photos: HI to LO at one location on a relative flat road. The following two are: also HI to LO, on a road that is starting to drop in elevation. Very little light is apparent below the bright stripe I get on HI beam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2079.jpg (105.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2080.jpg (127.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2081.jpg (82.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2082.jpg (115.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #90 (permalink)

This is the bulb I purchased that has the reflective tip as Jimsnorton suggested:

HID H4 H4 Hilo Hi Lo Bi Xenon Dual Beams H4 3 H4 2 H4 L Replacement Bulb x 1 | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories